Mix CPU generations?

MoreDakka

May 2, 2019
I've been trying to find a definitive answer on this, I'm guessing I'm not doing the right search.

With proxmox are we able to mix different CPU types and CPU generations? The best example I can come up with is:

Dell PE2950
Dell r710
Dell r515
Dell r730

Could I make a cluster using an example setup like that? What would be the down side to it if it does work?

Thanks!

If we do non-live migrations between odd hosts, that won't be a problem? So dropping in a new host would mean adding to the cluster, migrating the removing the old host(s)?
Would HA have problems with the different host CPUs or would you just create a new group of new servers and once a VM/CT is migrated into that server group then HA would keep them in that group right?

ha will stop/start the vms, so they will be able to restart without any problem, you just need to use default vm cpu model = kvm64.
Migration will maybe works. (not sure about the 2950)

(Personnaly, I'll avoid to reuse a dell 2950, they are more than 14years old now, and maybe it could impact corosync performance, as they are a really slower than others)

Spirit,
Yes definitely. I have some 2950s as test machines but not much left of those in production. Mostly r710s and I would like to retire those soon too as the CPUs are starting to get on the old side (where 2950s are on the really old side).
Thanks for the info!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!