Mirror Existing Boot SSD

Oct 14, 2018
Hi!

As you can tell by the title, I want to setup a RAID1 with an existing boot ssd, I thought about a ZFS software raid. I don't really know how to proceed afterwards, is it a problem that I already have several partitions on that drive?

Would be really helpful if someone who already experienced that scenario could share his thoughts!

:)

If you want a software RAID, ZFS is the best option. You cannot add a disk with existing data to a ZFS array though.
The only way to do this is to create backups and then restore the data on the new drive (where you reinstalled PVE, the installer can create your ZFS for you).

Different partitions could then be restored to ZFS volumes, as ZFS itself does not support classical "partitions".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!