Minimize Shell and re-open

CCWTech

Mar 3, 2020
When I minimize a shell on Proxmox, I'm not quite sure where it goes to re-open it (other than open a new shell)

Any help please?

Hi, do you mean a CT or Host shell? I mean there's no actual minimize and depending on what it behaves a bit different.

For the Proxmox VE node shells you'll get a new shell spawned if you reconnect or open a new session, if you need continuity here use a terminal multiplexer like "tmux" or "screen".

For Container it depens on your CTs settings, if it uses the default "tty" mode or the "/dev/console" mode you connect to something more persistent, and once you reconnect the previous state is still there, even though it's maybe out of screen (hit CTRL + L or the like to clear it). If you select the "shell" mode it should be the same behaviour as you see with PVE nodes.

For VMs you normally just connect to it's display, so depending on what runs in the VM it behaves accordingly, but normally the shell/viewer state stays.

You can open a shell in a new browser tab or window for longer running sessions, and as said, a terminal multiplexer may make it more easier - as this could even be picked up again if you (re)connect over something completely different, like SSH.

I think i have a similar problem than the OP.

I had run a script to install Hom Assistant from the Node Shell BUT the shell you see here in the pic is empty because i changed to other part of interface while script running (i think it's still running as seen in the tasks list). When i got back i seems the system launched another instance of shell...

How can i see the previous instance of shell where my script is executing??

1636263213654.png

Reactions: boyd
How can i see the previous instance of shell where my script is executing??
The original one may well be gone now as the session was closed, you could check in top or so if you still see it running..

If doing longer running things over the web-shell I'd recommend opening one in a separate window (shell button below "Create VM" in your screenshot) and/or (as said in my original reply) use something like tmux which allows re-attaching to a session easily.

Reactions: amomp3

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!