Mini-ITX motherboard & HBA not seeing all ten Sata ports

May 9, 2023
Hi all,

I'm building my second (mini-ITX) node to replace my old NAS. But having a problem with the Gigabyte B550 Aorus elite ax v2 only recognising five of the ten Sata ports on my HBA, and oddly the onboard Sata is not seeing HDs also with the HBA installed.

ELIATER PCIe SATA Card 10 Port using the CableDeconn Dual Mini SAS SFF-8088 To SAS36P for one external HD enclosure (with room for expansion).
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700G with Radeon Graphics
  • 32Gib RAM
So ten Sata through the HBA with four Sata from the motherboard, six HDs inside the case and eight externally.

To get Proxmox to see the HBA, I had to install Linux 6.1.15-1-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC PVE 6.1.15-1 (2023-03-08T08:53Z). It seems 5.15 does not have the ASM1062+JMB585 driver in the kernel, it was added in 6.1.

I tested Proxmox kernel 6.2 with no change and experienced poorer btrfs performance, so I when back to 6.1.

I have been searching for a while for a solution, and it may have something to do with the number of PICe lanes and has been changing the BOIS settings to get all the Sata ports recognised but have not succeeded.

Any idea if it is a motherboard issue or a kernel driver problem?

Note: I am booting from a single M.2 on the motherboard; the second M.2 slot is empty.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!