Migration from KVM to Proxmox

Nov 8, 2017
Muscat
Hello
I have some Virtual Machines which is currently in a different Node with KVM and Virtualizor (web-gui), and I want to move them to my newly created proxmox cluster.
The old KVM and New Proxmox Cluster are using a shared iscsi storage with different LUNs.
The old KVM is hosting VMs with LVM same as my new Proxmox so they both are using LVM on top of the Iscsi.
Is there any way to move the machines to new cluster ?

Thanks in advanced for your help.

KVM to Proxmox VE (KVM)
Just create an new VM on Proxmox VE and add the existing disk image to this new VM, set the boot order and start.

Last edited:
Reactions: fireon
I am not familiar with Virtualizer but chances are you will find the virtual machines' disk (Virtualizer side) under /dev/mapper. The process would then be to backup or dump the contents of that lvm partition to a file. Create a VM under proxmox with comparable settings (disk size, memory etc) using local-lvm. You will find the vms disk on the proxmox server under /dev/mapper/pve-vm-<some number>--disk--1 . You may use it as the target for a restore using the same tool you used on the Virtualizer side. I recommend using dd as it is likely to be available on both servers.

Reactions: jeffwadsworth
I am not familiar with Virtualizer but chances are you will find the virtual machines' disk (Virtualizer side) under /dev/mapper. The process would then be to backup or dump the contents of that lvm partition to a file. Create a VM under proxmox with comparable settings (disk size, memory etc) using local-lvm. You will find the vms disk on the proxmox server under /dev/mapper/pve-vm-<some number>--disk--1 . You may use it as the target for a restore using the same tool you used on the Virtualizer side. I recommend using dd as it is likely to be available on both servers.
I already tried with your method using dd to move LV from virtualior to proxmox , the first issue is taking too long,
it was 1 hour for 30GB VM
second issue was I couldn't boot the Machine after transfer
So I was looking for a faster and more reliable method

I already tried with your method using dd to move LV from virtualior to proxmox , the first issue is taking too long,
it was 1 hour for 30GB VM
second issue was I couldn't boot the Machine after transfer
So I was looking for a faster and more reliable method
Hi,
if you have an backup of all your vms you can use a fast way.

Connect the hdd/raid/whatever to the pve-server.
Define the lvm-storage in pve
rename the lv according new VMID and pve-naming sheme (and adapt vm-config)
Start VM and use storage migration to the "right" storage.

Udo

Reactions: Pourya Mehdinejad
Hi,
if you have an backup of all your vms you can use a fast way.

Connect the hdd/raid/whatever to the pve-server.
Define the lvm-storage in pve
rename the lv according new VMID and pve-naming sheme (and adapt vm-config)
Start VM and use storage migration to the "right" storage.

Udo
I liked your solutions but since the VMs were online and on production, I preferred the less risky method :
I've done the migration with less risky method :

Turned off the VM on the source machine and convert it to a RAW Image :
qemu-img convert -p /dev/VG_Group/LV_specific_for_vm -O raw /root/tempdisk/vm.raw.img

On the proxmox on target machine, first create the VM so its LV with it's schema get created.
Then on the target host, we've transfered the image into our LV

dd if=/dev/tempdisk/vm.raw.img of=/dev/VG_Group/LV_VM

Reactions: aasami

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!