Migration from ESX to Proxmox

Robert Schuster

Renowned Member
Feb 18, 2009
Hi Everybody,

at the moment I'm using a VMware ESX server for my virtualization stuff.
The hardware environment is as follows:

2 Dual Opteron systems (12GB, 2 dual core cpu's, Qlogic ISCSI card, no local hardddisks) One of the two hosts acts as testing and standby system most of the time
1 ISCSI appliance as centralized storage (will be changed to a opensolaris based storage solution in the near future)

Due several reasons, I would like to move to an open source solution using almost the same hardware & configuration.

Therefore I have some questions:

• Disk less booting from the ISCSI target
    This should be no problem, as I know Debian suports the Qlogic 405x cards, so I should be able to use a presented lun as system partition.
    Can anybody confirm this?
  • Using presented lun(s) as space for VM storage
    As long proxmox doesn't support ISCSI directly, I could do a "normal" mount thrue the OS and use than this "local" volume as vm storage.
  • System move / Storage move
    But how is it in case of moving systems? With ESX server I have presented the vm storage to both servers. If they are up, the storage is accessible by both hosts. In case of a hot migration, the vm gets swap over to the another host which is using the same storage.
    Can this be realized in any way with proxmox?
thanks in advance
Robert

Hi Everybody,

at the moment I'm using a VMware ESX server for my virtualization stuff.
The hardware environment is as follows:

2 Dual Opteron systems (12GB, 2 dual core cpu's, Qlogic ISCSI card, no local hardddisks) One of the two hosts acts as testing and standby system most of the time
1 ISCSI appliance as centralized storage (will be changed to a opensolaris based storage solution in the near future)

Due several reasons, I would like to move to an open source solution using almost the same hardware & configuration.

Therefore I have some questions:

• Disk less booting from the ISCSI target
    This should be no problem, as I know Debian suports the Qlogic 405x cards, so I should be able to use a presented lun as system partition.
    Can anybody confirm this?
yes, should work but due to the lack of these hardware components in our test labs this is not tested in full.
  • Using presented lun(s) as space for VM storage
    As long proxmox doesn't support ISCSI directly, I could do a "normal" mount thrue the OS and use than this "local" volume as vm storage.
not yet supported from us but feel free to do it. some users are working with such a configuration.
  • System move / Storage move
    But how is it in case of moving systems? With ESX server I have presented the vm storage to both servers. If they are up, the storage is accessible by both hosts. In case of a hot migration, the vm gets swap over to the another host which is using the same storage.
    Can this be realized in any way with proxmox?
Not yet. Migration on Proxmox VE 1.x is storage migration - shared storage is supported in 2.x (currently under active development)

O.K.
so I have to wait...

I know, that's annoying - do you have a release date for the 2.0 version? In another post i saw the lenny integration will be in place 04/09.
And that topic is also on the 2.0 feature list...

However, if you have something to test - I could spare some time and one system for testing. Everything regarding to ISCSI & shared storage is welcome.

kind regards
Robert

O.K.
so I have to wait...

I know, that's annoying - do you have a release date for the 2.0 version? In another post i saw the lenny integration will be in place 04/09.
And that topic is also on the 2.0 feature list...

However, if you have something to test - I could spare some time and one system for testing. Everything regarding to ISCSI & shared storage is welcome.

kind regards
Robert

We release step by step and the move to Lenny will the next big step. Things are moving fast here and we have no detailed release plan but the flexible storage is on highest priority here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!