Migrating vmware Win10 vm fails to boot past the UEFI shell

willo_in_melb

Jan 15, 2022
Thanks in advance for any help - a few hours of searching in and no luck so far...

I'm migrating my home lab from VmWare to Proxmox. I have a single PVE node set up and working (7.1-8) and have successfully migrated linux vms with no problems. I have a Win10 VM which I have migrated using the instructions here but I'm not able to get it to boot.

Using msinfo32.exe I can see that the Win10 vm is using Legacy Bios
I have removed all snapshots
I have removed VM guest tools
I've exported a template successfully
I've imported and created a new vm using the qm importovf command
I've tried using both uefi and SeaBIOS
Using UEFI - the machine drops to the EFI shell
-- Ive tried adding an EFI disk as was recommended by several posts to store system settings but this produced no change in behaviour

Using SeaBIOS I get a pale blue windows logo (is this the M$ boot loader?) which eventually fails with a "no bootable media" message. I can access various Windows troubleshooting tools with no success to date.

Many thanks for any guidance on next steps.

Here's the current 203.conf file:

Code:
bios: ovmf
cores: 4
efidisk0: pvestore:203/vm-203-disk-3.qcow2,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=528K
memory: 8192
name: Veeam1
sata0: pvestore:203/vm-203-disk-0.raw
sata1: pvestore:203/vm-203-disk-1.raw
smbios1: uuid=db0be929-3a5d-42a3-971c-3f6fea5301a1
vmgenid: b9f66b43-40e3-4e87-a0a1-3f8e10c44b2a

I seem to have finally got it up and going. So if its useful to any one else:
- In the 'Hardware' section of the VM I selected SeaBIOS
- I removed both hard discs (SATA mounts) and remounted them as IDE
- Selected Windows in the 'Options' section
and rebooted.

Now for optimization...

Reactions: enoch85

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!