Migrating VMs from AMD to Intel based host

michaeljd

Aug 30, 2023
Hello. I'm in the process of standing up a new Intel i9-based cluster and would like to migrate the VMs over from the current AMD Epyc-based hosts. I'd like to avoid rebuilding the VMs from scratch if I can help it. Here are some facts I think will be helpful.
  1. All VMs were created in Proxmox 8.0.3
  2. All VMs are configured with "host CPU" and the host CPUs are all AMD Epyc CPUs
  3. VMs are a mix of Win10 desktop images and Linux containers running things like Pi-hole
  4. None of the VMs use any passed through hardware from the host
  5. All VMs are stored on an NFS share that will not be changing, no VMs are stored on the hosts
I love my home-built Epyc servers but they pull a lot of power, put out a lot of heat and while quiet, are not as quiet as the MinisForum MS-01s I'm replacing them with. My server rack is in a dual-use room that is about to get a lot more use, so the room needs to be cooler and quieter, hence this change.

I have no idea where to start and appreciate your help. Thank you.

There isn't magic way. Most VMs, will boot as is.
Those which have problems will need fix manually.

Thanks, _gabriel. If the VMs don't boot, I assume reconfiguring them for Intel CPUs should get them working? Just trying to do troubleshooting in advance so that if (when) I have problems I'm not starting from zero.

The configuration of "CPU type" in the VM itself. I selected "host cpu" when I created all the VMs and the host CPUs are all AMD Epyc.

ok, why not for those have problems.
imo, most OS accept CPU swap.
Diff CPU might cause problems with Live Migration.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!