Migrating VM using LVM to ZFS

okieunix1957

Feb 11, 2020
I have an issue were the host I am migrating to has ZFS on it instead of EXT4 and the VM was build using LVM.

020-03-09 18:50:19 starting migration of VM 132 to node 'host10' (xxx.xxx.xxx.21)
2020-03-09 18:50:19 found local disk 'local-lvm:vm-132-disk-1' (via storage)
2020-03-09 18:50:19 found local disk 'local-lvm:vm-132-disk-2' (via storage)
2020-03-09 18:50:19 copying disk images
Debian GNU/Linux 9
Volume group "pve" not found
Cannot process volume group pve <<<< THis is the problem
command '/sbin/lvs --separator : --noheadings --units b --unbuffered --nosuffix --options vg_name,lv_name,lv_size,lv_attr,pool_lv,data_percent,metadata_percent,snap_percent,uuid,tags,metadata_size pve' failed: exit code 5
command 'dd 'if=/dev/pve/vm-132-disk-2' 'bs=64k'' failed: got signal 13
send/receive failed, cleaning up snapshot(s)..
2020-03-09 18:50:20 ERROR: Failed to sync data - command 'set -o pipefail && pvesm export local-lvm:vm-132-disk-2 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0 | /usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=sc4-devops-qa-prxmx-host10' root@172.16.16.21 -- pvesm import local-lvm:vm-132-disk-2 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0' failed: exit code 5
2020-03-09 18:50:20 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
2020-03-09 18:50:20 ERROR: found stale volume copy 'local-lvm:vm-132-disk-2' on node 'host10'
2020-03-09 18:50:20 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:02): Failed to sync data - command 'set -o pipefail && pvesm export local-lvm:vm-132-disk-2 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0 | /usr/bin/ssh -e none -o 'BatchMode=yes' -o 'HostKeyAlias=sc4-devops-qa-prxmx-host10' root@XXX.XXX.XXX.21 -- pvesm import local-lvm:vm-132-disk-2 raw+size - -with-snapshots 0' failed: exit code 5
TASK ERROR: migration aborted

the destination host is ZFS. so how can I do this without have to rebuild the node again.

Phillip

Last edited:
Migration needs the same storge type, so what you try is not possible. Try backup/restore instead.

you could also try to create a ZFS dataset of an appropriate size and then just "dd" the LVM-content into the new ZFS dataset.
Would also need the VM to be offline, but might be faster than a backup / restore.

have you tried a live migration of the VM running? With a current PVE version you should be able to select a target storage. In that situation it should be possible to migrate to a target of a different type.

Migration needs the same storge type, so what you try is not possible. Try backup/restore instead.

Thanks but that means downtime which we cannot afford to do at this time.
I was thinking why not create pve LVM group
you could also try to create a ZFS dataset of an appropriate size and then just "dd" the LVM-content into the new ZFS dataset.
Would also need the VM to be offline, but might be faster than a backup / restore.

That idea is good but not at this time. We don't want to have to keep doing that.
I am going to rebuild the node using ext4 LVM this time. That way there no problem

have you tried a live migration of the VM running? With a current PVE version you should be able to select a target storage. In that situation it should be possible to migrate to a target of a different type.

Do you mind telling me exactly how that can be done? Thanks,...

If you are running PVE 6 and migrate a running VM you should see a drop-down field in the dialog for the target storage.

Reactions: serafin.rusu
When I try this I get:

zfs error: cannot open 'rpool': no such pool

2020-09-27 16:15:47 ERROR: Failed to sync data - could not activate storage 'ZFS', zfs error: cannot open 'rpool': no such pool
2020-09-27 16:15:47 aborting phase 1 - cleanup resources
2020-09-27 16:15:47 ERROR: migration aborted (duration 00:00:01): Failed to sync data - could not activate storage 'ZFS', zfs error: cannot open 'rpool': no such pool
TASK ERROR: migration aborted

Scratch that, I just found the problem, it works pefectly :)
Would you mind sharing what the problem was? It might help other people in a similar situation. :)

Yes no problem, with me it was that I had just added the nodes to the cluster. This meant the storages were showing on each server. What I had to do was simply go into each storage and edit it to restrict the storage to its own server.

storage.png

I hope this helps, I assumed everyone else knew this and it was just me :)

Reactions: serafin.rusu
Hi @aaron and @Digitaldaz I was having the exact same problem and this solution helped me.

Just out of curiosity, is it a technical limitation or is it a bug that only live migration can change storage? I would have thought it is easier to do things when the VM is turned off.

Also ,as containers can't be live migrated. This solution does not work for them. I tried to take backup in pve with LVM, but I am not able to move backup to another pve which has ZFS. Unless of course some sort of shared storage is used. Even cloning only clones to a shared storage. Is there a workaround for containers?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!