Migrating to another hypervisor

paulstelian97

Sep 21, 2022
Hello, I'm considering migrating away from Proxmox (specifically, to VMware ESXi). Migrating the VMs shouldn't be too bad, but I have a few containers as well which kinda don't feel that easy to migrate. Free tier for both.

My guess is that I should migrate the containers to some sort of Linux VM before switching hypervisors. What would be the best way to do that?

I have considered installing a virtualized instance of Proxmox that only runs containers and migrating the containers themselves to that instance. How good is this idea? Should I try something else?

Note: Internal storage space is at a premium (and the disk _is_ almost full, 63GB available of the 512). I have an external HDD that should be big enough for any reasonable solution though (but cannot reformat that HDD due to important data on it, so it currently just has an ext4 partition that fills it; also it tends to remount-readonly once in a while, but has no history of data corruption other than those caused by interrupted writes when the remount happens). The HDD would become directly accessible to this VM _after_ the migration (and then I'll have to figure out a solution to backup the ESXi VMs)

The server is a simple laptop (i5-8250u, 16GB of RAM, 512GB internal SSD, external HDD is 5TB and used for backups, roughly half of it full at this time). Right now the SSD is mostly full but if needed I can make some room by removing (with backup) some VMs temporarily. I also have a few other services (Samba, mainly -- sharing a folder on that external HDD so I can use on my Mac for Time Machine) that I also want to migrate.

Right now the containers have a few interesting complex networking stuff (multiple connected bridges, pretty much) but I feel like I can deal with that (a NIC per bridge that is interesting to the containers I suspect)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!