Migrating from QNAP Virtualization Staion to PVE

brucexx

Renowned Member
Mar 19, 2015
I am trying to migrate a virtuall machine , Win Server from QNAP to PVE. The QNAP backup is just one file backup.img , there are two drives there. When I open this backup with app like powerISO I see 3 files 0.ntfs , 1,ntfs (which seems to be a main file taking 99.999% of space), and 2 just say it is a file.

I tried to open the two smaller files with text editor but they were unreadable.

Have you done that before ? I see on QNAP that their hypervisor is based on KVM.

I also see that the VM itself is running (the two drives are server01.img, and server01_1.img.

Thank you for any help.

Hi,

normally *.img files are images and is the same format as raw.
Try "qemu-img info" to get more information about this *.img file

Hello Guys,
i ll have to do the same operation shortly.
did you succeed ?
can you tell us if there is some tips to know ?
thanks.

Hi,
I will also in next month do same... Move from QNAP to Proxmox and need to migrate few VM's(Most of them are ubuntu + 1 Windows)...
Does your VM use BIOS or UEFI?

QNAP store wirtual machine HDD's in img file(Backup is also in .img but Im not sure if structure is same as production HDD img file).

Maybe this tutorial help you migrate VM using .img file:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#Qemu.2FKVM

Another option is export VM in QNAP VS to ovf(You need to shutdown VM) and use this tutorial:
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE#Virtual-to-Virtual_.28V2V.29

Please if you will do this before me let us know if any of tutorial work to migrate from QNAP...

@wellbein did you try migrate vm? I can't try because my proxmox server is in building(collecting parts) process...
Im check QNAP Virtualization Station and see that Developers are KVM & QEMU:

1660297122131.png
Older Virtual Station version 3.5 use QEMU QCOW2 Image (v3). This will probably mean that you can import VM without big issues...

Let us know how and if you migrate VM's from QNAP to Proxmox that also other users will know how to do it...

Because nobody didn't write anything and maybe in future there will be some users which would like migrate VM from QNAP to Proxmox I can confirm that this is possible without big issues...

Simple steps to migrate VM with name VM-WIN-TEST:
1.) Create shared folder for example "QNAP" and mount it into Proxmox(Datacenter -> Storage -> SMB/CIFS).
2.) In QNAP shutdown VM and export it to that folder as .ovf format
3.) When export finish go to shared folder on host:
cd /mnt/pve/QNAP
and run command:
qm importovf 300 VM-WIN-TEST.ovf local-zfs
300 is VM ID, local-zfs is storage path where you want your VM
4.) When import finish you need manualy fix some settings like BIOS/UEFI, SCSI Controller, ADD Network Card... Im also change "Machine" from default to q35. And then turn it on :)

Because nobody didn't write anything and maybe in future there will be some users which would like migrate VM from QNAP to Proxmox I can confirm that this is possible without big issues...

Simple steps to migrate VM with name VM-WIN-TEST:
1.) Create shared folder for example "QNAP" and mount it into Proxmox(Datacenter -> Storage -> SMB/CIFS).
2.) In QNAP shutdown VM and export it to that folder as .ovf format
3.) When export finish go to shared folder on host:
cd /mnt/pve/QNAP
and run command:
qm importovf 300 VM-WIN-TEST.ovf local-zfs
300 is VM ID, local-zfs is storage path where you want your VM
4.) When import finish you need manualy fix some settings like BIOS/UEFI, SCSI Controller, ADD Network Card... Im also change "Machine" from default to q35. And then turn it on :)
i've followed the same process.
Some important point for Windows VMs :

0/ configure the original host as DHCP client and release ip adresse before shutdown.
1/ don't change boot type ; if the original VM was on BIOS, stay on BIOS.
2/ Change storage controler for SATA, check Boot option to boot on SATA-0 (check Sata id of your boot disk)
3/ Install guest agents (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Qemu-guest-agent#Windows)

optionaly, at the end, show hidenn hardware and uninstall it.

My VM's on QNAP already use virtio for network & storage controller so I didn't have issues using SCSI Virtio and Virtio Network card...
But yes you need to setup everything in hardware as has been before. If you use on QNAP BIOS you need to use on proxmox BIOS if you on QNAP use UEFI you need to set UEFI on proxmox... Same for network and storage adapter... About cpu type Im qnap use Opteron 63xx CPU model and didn't have any issues moving to kvm64 CPU and PC Q35 machine type.

If your VM with windows do not boot because virtio drivers are not installed you can install them that way:
1.) Set VM controller to SATA. Add aditional HDD and set it to SCSI, size is not important(It can be 1GB).
2.) Boot VM to windows and install virtio drivers and ceck if your new HDD is detected in device manager without warnings and if you see it in win storage manager.
3.) When additional HDD work normally you can turn off VM and change primary hdd from SATA to SCSI and remove additional hdd(1GB one).
4.) Turn on VM and enyoy in virtio performances :)

Also I would like add something new which Im found. After migration Proxmox do not show disk size and show 0 B:

1661239151839.png

To fix that you need know what has been size(For example 50GB) before you migrate VM. Then you need open VM configuration file for example VM with ID 222:
Code:
nano /etc/pve/qemu-server/222.conf

And add at the end of line where your sata, scsi hdd is defined: ,size=50G
Original:
Code:
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-222-disk-0
To:
Code:
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-222-disk-0,size=50G

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!