Migrating ESXi 6.5 VM to Proxmox keeping current Intel E1000 NIC

Sinna

Aug 24, 2023
Belgium
I tried to migrate an ESXi 6.5 VM running Windows 7 (I know: EOL for long but required for some legacy stuff) to Proxmox VE 8.x using the Import Tool.
It succeeds quite well (rendering my ESXi 6.5 host useless due to high I/O), but my network configuration is gone: a new Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection #2 is created rendering the VLANs I created on the VM useless. By installing a specific Intel NIC driver I was able to pass a VLAN trunk to the VM and have it there split into several VLAN-based NICs.

I already succeeded to rename the NIC dropping #2 but the VLANs seem to be attached to a no longer existing NIC.

Any chance I can tweak some settings to let Windows think it's the same NIC? The Linux Bridge is VLAN-aware.

Last edited:
@spirit: sounds reasonable and does explain why it's impossible.
I know I should use VirtIO but as I had several VLANS defined based on that Intel NIC, I first tried using the E1000.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!