Migrated baremetal server disk to proxmox and itwon't boot.

davidvargas

Aug 9, 2024
Hello,

I am trying to migrate a bare metal server to a proxmox vm and I am running into issues. I copied /dev/sda which is a centos7 box using ddrescue to the proxmox host. The file is named centos.raw under /mnt/pve/proxmox-vms/102/centos.raw

Here is the vm config file:
Code:
boot: order=sata1
cores: 4
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 8000
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1723060678
name: Dall-VM
net0: virtio=BC:24:11:96:41:3D,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
sata1: proxmox-vms:102/centos.raw
scsihw: virtio-scsi-single
smbios1: uuid=764e6b5f-06b9-4b54-989d-28cff87a49c8
sockets: 1
virtio0: proxmox-vms:102/vm-102-disk-0.qcow2,iothread=1,size=975G
vmgenid: 9dadc853-d8ca-43d3-9255-14ba35289260

I also changed the boot disk in the vm option to sata1.

When I start the machine I get "Booting from Hard Disk..."

Here is the command that I used to copy the drive over an NFS Mount:
Code:
sudo ddrescue -c 1M -v /dev/sda /proxmox-vms/images/102/centos.img /proxmox-vms/images/102/centos.log

Then I just used the mv command to rename it to centos.raw

I am mostly following this guy's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fP-ilAo_Ks

Has anyone done a similar migration that can help me out?

don't forget to switch from SeaBIOS to OVMF (UEFI) if baremetal install was UEFI.
That got me further. It seems like the system can't find the storage drivers because it's booting into emergency mode and /dev/sda is not listed. When I run lsmod | grep virtio I get no results.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!