Migrate wireguard server to proxmox

pgcudahy

Jan 14, 2023
Edited 1/25/2023 - Now have it working!

Hello, I currently have a raspberry pi that connects to a VPN via wireguard, and then shares that connection with dumb hosts (like Rokus) via a VLAN and a dhcp server on it that forwards all traffic to the VPN. To do this I first set up a standard wireguard connection with the VPN on wg0, then set up the vlan with
Code:
/etc/network/interfaces.d/vlans
auto eth0.2
iface eth0.2 inet manual
    vlan-raw-device eth0
and forwarded traffic with
Code:
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i wg0 -o eth0.2 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o wg0 -j MASQUERADE
And lastly set up the dhcp server with dnsmasq and
Code:
sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.conf
    interface=eth0.2
    dhcp-range=172.16.0.50,172.16.0.150,12h
    server=1.1.1.1
    server=8.8.8.8
    server=8.8.4.4

To migrate this setup to a LXC container running on proxmox with a guest configured vlan I did the following

On the proxmox host I made vmbr0 vlan aware so my /etc/network/interfaces looks like
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp1s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.150/24
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        bridge-ports enp1s0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 2-4094

I created a LXC container (ID 103) with an Ubuntu 20.04 template and to make TUN device available for wireguard added to /etc/pve/lxc/103.conf
Code:
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 10:200 rwm
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/net dev/net none bind,create=dir

In the container I installed wireguard and defined an interface named sb. sudo wg-quick up sb works, so I ran sudo systemctl enable wg-quick@sb.service , which also works. To test the link I ran traceroute www.google.com --resolve-hostnames and saw that the traffic was exiting the VPN.

Next is to make a vlan and bind all traffic to the wireguard tunnel. I edited /etc/systemd/network/eth0.network to include VLAN=eth0.100 in the Network section and ran sudo touch /etc/systemd/network/.pve-ignore.eth0.network to keep it from being overwritten by proxmox.

I then added /etc/systemd/network/eth0.100.netdev
Code:
[NetDev]
Name=eth0.100
Kind=vlan

[VLAN]
Id=100
and /etc/systemd/network/eth0.100.network
Code:
[Match]
Name=eth0.100

[Address]
Address=172.16.1.1/24
To get it going I ran sudo systemctl restart systemd-networkd.service

To forward traffic from the vlan to the wireguard tunnel I ran
Code:
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i sb -o eth0.100 -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o sb -j MASQUERADE
#And to keep the rules after reboot
sudo apt install iptables-persistent
sudo netfilter-persistent save

Lastly for DHCP sudo apt install dnsmasq and sudo nano /etc/dnsmasq.conf
Code:
#To avoid conflicts with systemd-resolvd uncomment the following line
bind-interfaces

interface=eth0.100
    dhcp-range=172.16.1.2,172.16.1.254,12h
    server=1.1.1.1
    server=8.8.8.8
    server=8.8.4.4

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!