[SOLVED] Migrate VMs CTs to new install

vmware

Jul 8, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi all,

Currently I run dozens of CT / VM's on a 3-node cluster. Proxmox 6.4 with Ceph RBD storage for all disk images.

I plan to build a new server to run Proxmox 7.0. The new box will be running ZFS, not Ceph.

Question: Can I use the backup / restore function to migrate the CT / VM's to the new server? Is this a supported use case?

Regards,
V

Hi,

Question: Can I use the backup / restore function to migrate the CT / VM's to the new server? Is this a supported use case?

yes, backup guest on old node(s) and restore it on the new node should work and is in general definitively a supported use case.

You may need to adapt some guest configs though, but normally only if you had some setup specific that changed. For example, if you switch from an Intel to an AMD setup (or vice versa) and had the guest CPU types hardcoded to an Intel model, or set some CPU vendor specific flags or the like.

Depending on availability needs you could even temporarily add the new node to the existing cluster and migrate directly, but that is definitively more involved, and I'd not recommend that if you're not having quite some experience with PVE clustering on a lower level already; I'm just mentioning for the sake of it.

Reactions: vmware
Thanks Thomas. Good to know.

CPU settings should be fine in my case. No customisation done on any of the VMs. Thanks for the heads up on clustering - I considered it briefly but found it beyond my skill level.

My main concern is at the point of restoring on the new box - How does the restore command know where to create the disks? The new box will not be using Ceph at all.

My main concern is at the point of restoring on the new box - How does the restore command know where to create the disks? The new box will not be using Ceph at all.
In the GUI you'd always select a storage where all disks are placed on, if there are more than one and you want to have them on different storages you can move them after the restore (we plan to make the restore dialogue a bit more flexible in the future though).

On the CLI/API (e.g., qmrestore tool) the default would be the same storage-id as it was previously, if that does not exist you'll get an error IIRC, but there you can override the target storage using the --storage ID parameter.

Reactions: vmware
Hey,
in my case i restored it the same way but it always shows the following Err when i try to start the VM : "TASK ERROR: storage 'backup' does not exist"

thanks in forward

Hey,
in my case i restored it the same way but it always shows the following Err when i try to start the VM : "TASK ERROR: storage 'backup' does not exist"

thanks in forward
Perhapse cause you have a non-backed up 'backup' VD (not included in archive itself)?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!