Migrate VM to different host

Hyien

Jun 18, 2021
How can I migrate a VM to another Proxmox host that is not in the same cluster?

i have a idea,
you can add a new node to old cluster,and migrate vms to this new node.
after migrate work is done, delete this node in old cluster,and join new cluster.

You may, however, get away with copying/backing up /etc/pve/nodes somewhere safe, deleting /etc/pve/nodes/*, join cluster, then copy back the /etc/pve/nodes backup you took. YMMV, and I'd suggest trying this with a demo cluster first.

This WILL NOT work wif you have VMs of the same VM ID.

The easiest way to do this without a cluster is to just use proxmox backup server. Back it up from one node and restore it to the other node.

This is now possible via qm remote-migrate as of Proxmox VE 7.3:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/qm.1.html
Hi,
thank you for pointing the documentation out. I've tried the
Bash:
qm migrate
command and created another disk image with a new ID.

What I can't follow here is, how to proceed. It would be nice to document a basic example, but there isn't. Is there anybody out there who already tried this? If yes, can you please light me up how the basic steps would be? Thank in advance!

Regards,
Oguz

Hi,
thank you for pointing the documentation out. I've tried the
Bash:
qm migrate
command and created another disk image with a new ID.

What I can't follow here is, how to proceed. It would be nice to document a basic example, but there isn't. Is there anybody out there who already tried this? If yes, can you please light me up how the basic steps would be? Thank in advance!

Regards,
Oguz
Ok, for everyone who can end up in this threat like me, I found this thread and it was very useful for me.

Reactions: boie0025 and linux

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!