Migrate VM images between 2 Ceph Clusters

stefws

Jan 29, 2015
Denmark
siimnet.dk
Want to upgrade an old 3.4 testlab connected to a Hammer Ceph cluster (i know :)

Plan is first to migrate VM images to a newly installed Ceph Mimic cluster, would it be possible to connect to both Ceph Cluster (eg. maybe by upgrading Ceph Client to +Jewel)?

Anyone knows where I might find Jewel packages for Debian Wheezy as they seems EoL
The packages in debian are already jewel. But I am not sure that you can access Mimic with it.

The packages in debian are already jewel. But I am not sure that you can access Mimic with it.
Gregory Farnum@Redhat seems to think so:

>Got an old Hammer Cluster where I would like to migrate it’s data (rbd images) to a newly installed Mimic Cluster.
>Would this be possible if I could upgrade the clients from Hammer to Jewel(ie. would Jewel be able to connect to both clusters)?
Yes; that should work without any issues

I don't think so, possible only ceph-deploy not all other needs packages ImHO
True, I should be more precise, in Debian 9 (PVE 5.x) they are. But this way you could have one node as 5.x (standalone) and connect it to both ceph clusters, with the same storage naming. This way you would just need to copy the vmid.conf from the 3.x node to the 5.x and could keep the downtime small.

True, I should be more precise, in Debian 9 (PVE 5.x) they are. But this way you could have one node as 5.x (standalone) and connect it to both ceph clusters, with the same storage naming. This way you would just need to copy the vmid.conf from the 3.x node to the 5.x and could keep the downtime small.
Right that might be another path, remove a node from the current old 3.4, install it as a first 5.x node w/Ceph Jewel as client and connect to both Ceph Clusters and manually copy vmid.conf files between PVE nodes.

Attempted to compile Ceph Jewel from source, but it is hard to near impossible to compile under Wheezy as it's gcc < 4.8 which are missing 'emplace' a C++11 feature among other things... Will properly attempt with a PVE 5.x node Jewel client

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!