Migrate Truenas to Proxmox

Aug 30, 2022
Hi,
I'm new to Proxmox. I've been using TrueNAS scale to run my dockers, VMS, and as a NAS.
I wanted to move to Proxmox due to limitations and a few issues.
However, I have several dockers that I really really don't want to have to rebuild. I wanted to know if there is a way I can Virtualize truenas in Proxmox but keep the current dockers and data.
I have it installed on dual 4TB SSDs in RAID, Is there a way, Once truenas is installed on a VM, to connect the SSD directly without deleting the content on them and just pick up from where it was?

The VMs I figured out how to export from truenas and into Proxmox, but I would rather leave the dockers in truenas the way they are. At least for now.

You can try disk passthrough (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)) but with that your TrueNAS VM will only see virtual disks, not the real physical disks. If you want that your virtual TrueNAS can directly access the real physical disks you would need to buy a HBA and use PCI Passthrough (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough) to passthrough the whole HBA ,with all disks attached to it, into the VM.
Would this work? And then just passthrough the PCI slot?

https://amzn.to/3Q4x47d

Depends on a lot of factors...
1.) is your CPU+mainboard+BIOS capable of using PCI passthrough?
2.) does your mainboard got useful IOMMU groups? Usually you can only use PCIe slot for passthrough that are directly connected to your CPU. Usually only the first 16x slot will work.
3.) is the HBA dumb enough? There should be no abstraction layer between the OS and the disks. So you don't want the card to support features like HW raid
4.) Is the chipset of the HBA supported by TrueNAS? driver support?

2.) does your mainboard got useful IOMMU groups? Usually you can only use PCIe slot for passthrough that are directly connected to your CPU. Usually only the first 16x slot will work.
3.) is the HBA dumb enough? There should be no abstraction layer between the OS and the disks. So you don't want the card to support features like HW raid
I'm using a Ryzen 7 5700G with a ASRock x570M Pro4 board. Idk if that helps.

I guess I'll have to do a little research to see if it works. Maybe just give it a try.

Is there any HBA cards you recommend?

Second hand Dell PERC H310 or H710 crossflashed into IT-mode should be the cheapest (35€) with great driver support and could fit 4 SAS or 8 SATA disks.
X570 should usually support PCI passthrough. Atleast for the primary x16 PCIe slot.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!