Migrate of a physical server with Windows Server 2008 R2 to Proxmox VE

cesarpk

Mar 31, 2012
Hello to all

I want to know how to migrate of a physical server with Windows Server 2008 R2 to Proxmox VE and succeed at startup?

Anybody can help me?

Cesar

Thank you Dragoon but i undestand that i should not use the file mergide.reg, and my principal question is how to boot Win2008R2 successfully with IDE driver on Proxmox VE?

Best Regard
Cesar
Hi,
I guess because win2k8 has the ide driver already installed.

Whats the problem? Doesn't boot the VM? Or do you hasn't tried yet?

Udo

Hi,
I guess because win2k8 has the ide driver already installed.

Whats the problem? Doesn't boot the VM? Or do you hasn't tried yet?

Udo

Hi udo

I hasn't tried yet, but soon i will do it

Let me one more question:
Is the same work of migration for Windows Server2008 (no R2)?

Best regards
Cesar

You can use that how-to in windows 7 ,2000, 2003, 2008, all versions i haven't tried it in windows xp no reason to in my mind =D

The mergide.reg were mainly for 2000 & 2003, 2008 will work without the mergide.reg file but It doesn't hurt to run it and wont cause any issues if you don't use it, as windows just needs it to see the drive, once its booted you can get all the drivers for the system as you will no longer be using the real hardware. Once its virtualized windows will see different hardware so you will need to make sure that you remove all ghost hardware from your system. If you have any issues let me know.

You can use that how-to in windows 7 ,2000, 2003, 2008, all versions i haven't tried it in windows xp no reason to in my mind =D

The mergide.reg were mainly for 2000 & 2003, 2008 will work without the mergide.reg file but It doesn't hurt to run it and wont cause any issues if you don't use it, as windows just needs it to see the drive, once its booted you can get all the drivers for the system as you will no longer be using the real hardware. Once its virtualized windows will see different hardware so you will need to make sure that you remove all ghost hardware from your system. If you have any issues let me know.

Thank you very much Dragon for yours answers, i will make migration soon, and I'll call you if I'll have problems

I want to congratulate and thank the people of this forum, the help is very valuable for less experienced people like me.

Best Regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!