Migrate Hyper-V Machine to Proxmox KVM

tobi

Feb 7, 2013
hello community :)

i have a windows 2008 r2 server running on hyper-v 2008 and want to migrate the server to kvm ... i used the following commands for this:

qemu-img convert -f vpc -O qcow2 /mnt/windows2008.VHD /var/lib/vz/images/107/vm-107-disk-1.qcow2

or

qemu-img convert -O qcow2 /mnt/windows2008.VHD /var/lib/vz/images/107/vm-107-disk-1.qcow2

the command was done and i started the virtual machine with an ide controller.... the problem is, that the machine dont start and stuck in a bluescreen... can someone help me please?

greetings tobi

Last edited:
a test migration works here, using a fresh install win2008r2.

Code:
qemu-img convert win2008r2-1.vhd -O qcow2 win2008r2-1.qcow2

here is my config:

Code:
qm config 300

bootdisk: ide0
cores: 1
ide0: local:300/vm-300-disk-1.qcow2,format=qcow2,cache=writeback,size=26214048K
ide2: none,media=cdrom
memory: 1024
name: win2008r2-hyperV
net0: e1000=DE:BC:16:CE:01:20,bridge=vmbr0
ostype: win7
sockets: 1

my windows 2008 server function as a domain controller... i dont tested a fresh installation of windows 2008 in vhd format (converted to qcow2), should i test it also? could my proxmox 3.0 cluster be the problem?

don´t forget to analyse your BSOD

the command was done and i started the virtual machine with an ide controller.... the problem is, that the machine dont start and stuck in a bluescreen... can someone help me please?

greetings tobi

if you got this:
Code:
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF741B84C,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

read here http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Migration_of_servers_to_Proxmox_VE

it is likely a mergeide.reg problem...

Marco

okay i have to add some information ... the windows 2008 hyper-v machine comes originally from a physical machine with an LSI raid controller in a raid5 setting ... if i start the machine in hyper-v, he seems to select the right ide driver ... but this does not work in kvm, windows dont take the right ide driver

to the mergeide.reg method ... tom said in another thread that the mergeide.reg does not work with windows 2008, is that wrong?

the mergeide.reg is not suitable for win2008r2.

pls do not mix win2008 and win2008r2 - these are two different OS and you need to be clear in your posts.

try safe-mode.

or the integrated backup/restore from windows.

ok sorry, its always windows 2008r2 ... the backup and restore function from windows does not work.. there is an wrong parameter error, i already checked all the recommendations for this error message with no success....

i try in this moment the mergeide.reg, even if it seems senseless ... another way i go is to replicate a fresh installed windows server 2008r2 (in kvm) with the original domain controller...

ok i solved the problem ... it was the mergeide.reg .. it seems also work with windows2008r2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!