[SOLVED] Migrate ESXI VM to Proxmox server

lakmalv

Aug 9, 2021
Hi,

We have 2 Vmware ESXI servers and 1 proxmox server. I am new to proxmox and I need to move my VMs in the esxi server to proxmox server. Vms storage are mounted on a NFS server. I went through the proxmox documentation but it's not clear to me. Can someone please help me with this. I really need this.

Best Regards
Lakmal

Hi Moayad,

We also have the same setup, Proxmox 7.0.8.

We have migrated the VM image (.vmdk) from the NFS server to proxmox and converted it using the qm importdisk 100 dnsserver.vmdk zfs1 --format raw command. We followed this video tutorial.

After the above step, the network/internet is not working on the newly converted Proxmox host. I tried the following methods but still no luck.
- Removed current network adapter and added a new one
- added static IP manually
- added two nic adapters
- ifconfig -a < I can see ens18 mac address only, no IP address. ens18 is up.

I'm getting the following error message with Network Status:
failed to open statefile /run/network/ifstate

This image is backup from our live VM host. It's working on VM EXSi without any network issues.

We uploaded ubuntu os to Proxmox, created a Ubuntu host on proxmox and the internet is working for that host.

What could be the issue?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi,

Could you please post the network configuration of your PVE host?

Bash:
cat /etc/network/interfaces
and the VM config as well
Bash:
qm config 102

Hi Moayad,

Please find the required files in the attachment.

Thanks

Attachments

• cat interfaces.PNG
    cat interfaces.PNG
    13.5 KB · Views: 24
  • qm config 100.PNG
    qm config 100.PNG
    16.2 KB · Views: 24
Hi,

Thank you so much for the help. We were able to get the network interface up by editing the /etc/netplan/00-installer-config.yaml file. Only needed to change the interface name to the new adapter name.

Thanks
Lakmal

Reactions: khampol and Moayad

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!