Migrate 2008R2 => pve

Henry

Jan 1, 2016
Over the weekend I attempted to migrate two physical servers to pve. One 2003 & one 2008R2.

Using Clonezilla the 2003 migration went fine, updated hardware and drivers to virtio and all is well.

After 20+ hours of copying data the 2008R2 migration failed to start.

It starts with a flash of a BSOD then presents a Windows Error page asking if I wish to start Windows normally or enter recovery mode etc. If I select start Windows normally then it cycles to the same place again.

Are there any tricks to a 2008R2 migration? I really don't want to trial and error with 20+ hours of data migration each time.

p.s. Next time I'll install a physical hdd in the source server and Clonezilla local hdd to image then move the hdd to the destination server and copy the image to Proxmox.

Over the weekend I attempted to migrate two physical servers to pve. One 2003 & one 2008R2.

Using Clonezilla the 2003 migration went fine, updated hardware and drivers to virtio and all is well.

After 20+ hours of copying data the 2008R2 migration failed to start.

It starts with a flash of a BSOD then presents a Windows Error page asking if I wish to start Windows normally or enter recovery mode etc. If I select start Windows normally then it cycles to the same place again.

Are there any tricks to a 2008R2 migration? I really don't want to trial and error with 20+ hours of data migration each time.

p.s. Next time I'll install a physical hdd in the source server and Clonezilla local hdd to image then move the hdd to the destination server and copy the image to Proxmox.
Hi Henry,
I've successfully converted msw 2k8r2 server this way:
1) make backup internally with VHDX-image
2) qemu-img convert VHDX-image into QCOW2-image
3) create VM with ide first, then attach qcow2-image and later with virtio drivers as in wiki.

during convert it's possible to use "compact" option, which slowers process but yields lesser size image.
also I've done shrinking the FS in VM with gparted livecd, and dd condensed partion from bigger image to lesser image.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!