message file too big error

olli

Jun 29, 2007
Dear proxmox,

we've some troubles receiving mails from an external domain including attachements of a size of roundabout 7Mbyte.
Our Proxmox mail-gateway HA cluster has version 2.0 build 2123. In 'configuration' --> 'mail-proxy' --> 'options' --> 'message size limit' is set to zero. I've already tried the following but nothing works at all:
- sender in rules' whitelist added
- sender-domain in greylist-exclusions added
- sender-domain to recipient in quarantine-whitelist added
Additional I've tested mail delivery with an 10Mbyte attachement which includes a zip-file. With or without setting a password in the zip archive doesn't matter.
Each time I've got back an error message looking like this:
user.name@destinationdomain.de
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host mailserver2.destinationdomain.de [1.2.3.4]: 552 5.3.4 Error:
message file too big
I appreciate any suggestions.
By the way: Does Clam-AV could produce such a mail handling by looking into the zip archive and reckognizing an executable which is hitting the default rule of dangerous content although this rule only removes the attachement and should delive the mail to the recipient?
Kind regards,
Olli

Dear proxmox,

we've some troubles receiving mails from an external domain including attachements of a size of roundabout 7Mbyte.
Our Proxmox mail-gateway HA cluster has version 2.0 build 2123. In 'configuration' --> 'mail-proxy' --> 'options' --> 'message size limit' is set to zero. I've already tried the following but nothing works at all:
- sender in rules' whitelist added
- sender-domain in greylist-exclusions added
- sender-domain to recipient in quarantine-whitelist added
Additional I've tested mail delivery with an 10Mbyte attachement which includes a zip-file. With or without setting a password in the zip archive doesn't matter.
Each time I've got back an error message looking like this:
user.name@destinationdomain.de
SMTP error from remote mailer after end of data:
host mailserver2.destinationdomain.de [1.2.3.4]: 552 5.3.4 Error:
message file too big
I appreciate any suggestions.
By the way: Does Clam-AV could produce such a mail handling by looking into the zip archive and reckognizing an executable which is hitting the default rule of dangerous content although this rule only removes the attachement and should delive the mail to the recipient?
Kind regards,
Olli

hi olli,
can you send us the original log file? just send to support@proxmox.com

Hi.
We've fixed everything.

We had to set 'max. message size' in 'configuration' --> 'mail proxy' --> 'options' to a value of x MByte (in our environment 100MB). Then the message was accepted and delivered. Due to the default value used by postfix of 10Mbyte if the above mentioned options is set to zero was our problem.

Kind regards,
Olli

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!