Memory configuration in a KVM

Danielc1234

Jan 10, 2010
Hi all,

I was just curious. One of our KVMs had 4096 memory assigned to it and I noticed that on the Virtual machines page, that KVM was showing in the memory section as if it was using all of the memory. I then added memory to the system, 7168 to be exact and now on the Virtual Machines page it is showing 6.65 being used. Does that mean that this KVM is using up that much memory?

We have only like maybe 6-8 websites, but they are php hogs and I have memcached turned on on all the sites.

Wanted to know if maybe I need to assign more memory to this KVM?

Hi all,

I was just curious. One of our KVMs had 4096 memory assigned to it and I noticed that on the Virtual machines page, that KVM was showing in the memory section as if it was using all of the memory. I then added memory to the system, 7168 to be exact and now on the Virtual Machines page it is showing 6.65 being used. Does that mean that this KVM is using up that much memory?

We have only like maybe 6-8 websites, but they are php hogs and I have memcached turned on on all the sites.

Wanted to know if maybe I need to assign more memory to this KVM?
Hi,
look with top and you will see, how much memory the process takes.
BTW. Linux takes all unused ram as io-cache if needed - so the info the ram is full is nor really helpfull. top shows also the kind of ram-usage (buffer...).

Udo

@Udo, - Thanks for the response.
I ran a top command and noticed that it does not look like the memory is an issue, however if you look at the attachment, one of the KVMs is hitting the CPU% at 103. Any idea why this may be happening? There is nothing in the logs that would throw up a red flag.

I was considering adding another proxmox server and make a cluster, but wanted to know:

1) Can you add/create a cluster with KVMs and openVM already installed on the main cluster or first server?
2) Does a cluster mean that you are able to share the resources from both of the servers or just have control in one place?
3) We are only running 2 db servers, 2 webservers and one email server. Is it a good idea to add another proxmox server and/or cluster?

Thanks - Daniel

Attachments

• putty.jpg
    putty.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!