Mellanox - iSER/Ceph

Oct 7, 2019
I'm having issues getting iSER over iWARP to work properly with Proxmox (or any other OS) and Intel has been very unhelpful about getting me to a working state. I do need the added bandwidth/latency offered by RDMA; so I'm looking into alternatives.

I'm making this post to get any input from other Proxmox users who have successfully gotten iSER and/or Ceph over RDMA to work properly in Proxmox VE 6. I'm looking at their connectx-5 25gbe adapters and their 2010 switch. Has anyone had any success getting this equipment to work with the above? If so, any gotchas?

Last edited:
I'm sorry for the late response, but I gave up on this thread after a month of no activity.

I was looking to support 3 hosts with multipath failover over iSER disks. The storage needed to be fast enough to swing over our old infrastructure which consists of 2 seperate HV clusters and a few baremetal servers. Each of the new hosts are utilizing these disks for file and database storage. The intention was also for plenty of room for growth.

I bit the bullet and purchased some connect-x5 cards and a mellanox onyx switch. The inbox drivers were mostly sufficient to get RDMA running between my hosts / storage. I did need to install a few ofed specific items. This was accomplished by installing Mellanox's firmware tools (MFT) and the ofed-kernel uttility from their OFED package. The Mellanox software was to enable LLDP and to set QOS for RDMA. The additional software wasn't necessary to get iSER functional.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alwin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!