Match network configuration from KVM

jbravo

Sep 22, 2022
Hello!

Im migrating some VMs that are running using Qemu/KVM. Everything is working fine except that after running the VM in Proxmox I have to reconfigure the network because the guest OS detects a new device, even if I match in Proxmox the same mac address and the same driver (virtio).

My idea is to be able to move the VMs from Qemu/KVM without needing to reconfigure the ethernet inside the VM.

I checked the the qemu process on both systems, kvm/qemu and proxmox. And the only difference I can see is in the netdev and addr in the -device parameter.
In Qemu/KVM the -device parameter looks like this:
-device virtio-net-pci,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=EA:3E:82:32:F2:5E,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3

In Proxmox
-device virtio-net-pci,mac=EA:3E:82:32:F2:5E,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0

As you can see the only difference is the netdev and the addr. May be one of those is pulling the trigger in the guest OS to create a new device?

I think the problem may be in the addr but I'm not sure. If it's how can I set in Proxmox the addr of that device?

Thank you!

If it's how can I set in Proxmox the addr of that device?
you cannot really, the address of the devices is fixed, so that we can easily calculate it when we need it for live migration (for that the hardware needs to be exactly the same layout)

you *could* add the devices with the '-args' property instead, but pve will have no idea about the network interfaces (and you cannot configure them via the gui, can't configure the firewall, etc. anymore)
imho if you're really migrating to pve now, i'd invest the (albeit small) time to reconfigure the guests one time

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!