Mastering Proxmox - a book about Proxmox VE is finally available

But first impression: I am bit disappointed over the extend of ZFS;-) For SMB's which don't have money or space for a storage cluster a unified storage server based on ZFS is definitely the answer IMHO. Either Nexenta or, to my taste, Omnios. If a HA storage cluster is a requirement later on Nexenta has built-in support for clustering and clustering can be bought as an add-on for Omnios. So ZFS can scale as well. In my book ZFS shines above all other filesystems, both in performance and in stability and security.
Very true. ZFS was not extensively covered, or hardly covered at all. I have put emphasis on Ceph purely because I know it well enough and have built several Proxmox clusters on it. I live, breath in Ceph as you do in ZFS :)

I will always remember your contribution during my journey of "getting to know Proxmox" many months ago. You introduced me to OmniOS which allowed me to really use ZFS. But fell in love at first sight with Ceph later on. To me Ceph just seems much easier to work with even with low budget SMBs without much complication. HA works out of the box without paying anything.

May be future book collaboration with you on Proxmox+ZFS is a possibility. ;)

Hello all...

nice book, i will buy one, but... it is the part clustering and fencing good declared?

Best Regrads

Hello all...

nice book, i will buy one, but... it is the part clustering and fencing good declared?

Best Regrads

It walks you through setting up a HA cluster using a cheap and available APC PDU as a fencing device. Also shows some other examples. It's not super duper answer everything in depth, but a good primer and example on how to do it yourself.

It walks you through setting up a HA cluster using a cheap and available APC PDU as a fencing device. Also shows some other examples. It's not super duper answer everything in depth, but a good primer and example on how to do it yourself.

Thats right. By design of the book i tried to write as much details as possible to cover all aspects of Proxmox. This book is not focus on a particular feature of Proxmox. I believe it gives you full picture what Proxmox can do in real world while guide you and help you setup your own Proxmox. Several chapters has been dedicated on specific topics. For example, HA, Ceph, Virtual Networking etc.

This sounds really nice. I will buy one fore me. I very interessting about it, and iI am looking forward :)

I just browsed over the free sample of this book, and I honestly just might buy it! Very straight forward, and includes one of the most important chapters a book can have, Troubleshooting. As I begin my journey in Proxmox, I think this could be a very valuable resource. I hope that the Author has a plan to keep it as up to date as possible (Time permitting).

-Matt

As I begin my journey in Proxmox, I think this could be a very valuable resource. I hope that the Author has a plan to keep it as up to date as possible (Time permitting).
-Matt
As it takes lot of time and resources to release a book, keeping a book upto date with new edition of the book is not always possible. But for this reason we have a forum setup at www.masteringproxmox.com to specifically discuss the book. Suggestions, comments, request of additional info all can be done there.

I tried my best to include most commonly occur incidents in Troubleshooting chapter. By no means it has "all" the answer but should point the reader to right direction. I think we all have our own version of Troubleshooting chapter in our disposal where we document our struggles and solutions. :)

As it takes lot of time and resources to release a book, keeping a book upto date with new edition of the book is not always possible. But for this reason we have a forum setup at www.masteringproxmox.com to specifically discuss the book. Suggestions, comments, request of additional info all can be done there.

I tried my best to include most commonly occur incidents in Troubleshooting chapter. By no means it has "all" the answer but should point the reader to right direction. I think we all have our own version of Troubleshooting chapter in our disposal where we document our struggles and solutions. :)

Thanks for the reply! I understand somewhat the life of an author, I had to help author a project at work one time, code name 'Manuel' (Manual, just pronounced all espanol!). It was a nightmare to keep update to date, as there was something always changing with what it actually covered (Reporting/Data analytic's/Data retrieval/formatting). None the less, this is a fine work of art, I will be sure to drop by the forums!

-Matt

Hi Syncomm,
I bought the book and found it very useful. However, like mir pointed out, ZFS should be more in details.
One important thing I was hoping to get a grasp on through your book was, open Virtual switch. OVS bond, OVS bridge and OVS InPort. Also under what scenarios should one go for a Linux bridge vs OVS bridge.
Virtual network is the future, so this is one of the most important aspects.
I would appreciate if there is comprehensive guide on this. Waiting for next release from you guys.......
Good Job.
Thanks
Kumar

Hello
i got it and i like it.
sometimes confused but i should get it.

the Point i'm missing is how to add IPv6 to container and/or KVM

have a nice day
vinc

I bought the book and found it very useful. However, like mir pointed out, ZFS should be more in details.
One important thing I was hoping to get a grasp on through your book was, open Virtual switch. OVS bond, OVS bridge and OVS InPort. Also under what scenarios should one go for a Linux bridge vs OVS bridge.
Virtual network is the future, so this is one of the most important aspects.
I would appreciate if there is comprehensive guide on this. Waiting for next release from you guys.......
Good Job.
Thanks
Kumar

I truly see your point. We all know how things in IT world changes so rapidly. When i started writing the book, there was no OVS in Proxmox edition. Little over half way through the book editing the Ceph Server and OVS was added into Proxmox as "technology preview". I have not put anything in this book that i personally did not use and test extensively. Since i have been using Ceph for a while now, i tested it throughly the Proxmox+Ceph Server implementation in Proxmox VE 3.2. We literally had to rethink the book to include the Proxmox+Ceph. My publisher went above and beyond their duties to accommodate this significant changes even though first half of the book was somewhat final. The reason i did not include OVS simply i have not used it enough to write about it. I believed Ceph was more important than OVS since it is possible to build an entire virtual environment without using OVS but that environment needs a stable Storage system.
This bring us to the topic of ZFS.

Yes ZFS was not extensively covered in the book simply because i believe Ceph is much more robust than ZFS and scales out for "any" environment.
Ok, ZFS lovers, do not shoot me. :) This is my biased opinion. But make no mistake i am not undermining ZFS. It is extremely powerful, easy to setup/maintain and resilient enough to use in production environment. But if you truly compare ZFS and Ceph with 100% unbiased mind, I think Ceph out of the box can tackle very large storage. by simply adding a node and bunch of HDDs Ceph scales out to many petabytes. I am not ruling out that the maker of FreeNAS has commercial unit of Petabyte storage using FreeNAS, but check how much you would have to pay for licensing cost and how much time and effort to hold the storage together. Ceph on the other hand you give birth once and it takes care of itself from day 1 without spending a penny on license.

The goal of the book was to make you Enterprise ready so to speak. I understand that the community of home/learning/testing group is much large than Enterprise minded group. But If you know how to setup enterprise level environment, you will know how to setup small environment in your basement.

This book is the very first book on Proxmox in the world right now. So it has been a learning experience for me and my publisher. Thats why we want all the feedback from the readers and proxmox community to make it even better. So far your feedback had been amazing and the response we got from our readers are just priceless. So Thank You!

You can always ask additional book info on www.masteringproxmox.com

I just purchased the book & ebook combo through Packt Publishing and will dive head first into it tomorrow morning.

Thank you for taking the time to create the book!!

I think it's ebook only ? if yes, it's almost the same price . (maybe 1$ cheaper)

To clarify, the 50% discount is only applied once the book is added to the O'Reilly cart and the discount code entered. The price then shows up in the cart as $13.49 USD (vs. $22.95 on the Packt site). I hope this doesn't cut into Wasim's bottom line too much :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!