Make host vg / lv or partition directly available to vm

0920799u

Oct 2, 2018
Paris, France
Hello,

Is there a way to make either an entire host lvm volume group or logical volume or partition inside that volume directly available to a vm ?

I would need this to import old data from a non virtualized machine inside a vm.

I tried adding storage from the vg, but the gui would only let me create a new volume inside it.

Any help appreciated.

yes, you can pass-through any block device from the host to a VM if you have root privileges - see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Physical_disk_to_kvm

obviously, you are responsible for making sure that you only access the device from within this one VM, and not from host+VM or from multiple VMs.

Would there be a way to mount the partition from the node in multiple vms and lxcs without possible data corruption issues?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!