macOS GPU passthrough, but to display on dashboard

ownway

Jul 21, 2022
Hello,

I see all tutorials online for GPU passthrough on macOS require a physical monitor. I followed the tutorials and successfully setup the VM. The graphics can be displayed on a monitor via an HDMI port of the graphic card(AMD RX580).

But this is not truly what I want, One of the main advantages from Proxmox is being able to manage the VM remotely via http protocol. I want the graphics to be shown on the Proxmox dashboard webpage via a virtual display such as noVNC. But this seems not working for macOS. I can run the MacOS on the dashboard via VMWare compatible display, but the graphics can only be rendered by CPU, even the RX580 was set to passthrough to VM.

This is different for ubuntu. I had a Nvidia GTX1070 passthrough and the graphics on the dashboard via the default noVNC display is perfectly rendered by the GPU. No physical monitor needed.

Any idea why? I have the Proxmox 7.2 installed and an intel CPU with two graphic cards mounted(RX580 and GTX1070).

Thanks!

Last edited:
This is different for ubuntu. I had a Nvidia GTX1070 passthrough and the graphics on the dashboard via the default noVNC display is perfectly rendered by the GPU. No physical monitor needed.
No, that is not what happend there.

In order to have what you describe, you would need a framegrabber, that grabs the image from your HDMI output of your GPU and converts it to a bitstream that is then displayed on the webpage.

No, that is not what happend there.
So you mean even the graphics of ubuntu was rendered by CPU? I thought it was GPU as the animation is quite smooth especial on SPICE protocol.
1658405448498.png

And in the ubuntu settings, the graphics were recognized as GTX1070
1658405621994.png
Nvidia-smi:

1658405792552.png

In order to have what you describe, you would need a framegrabber, that grabs the image from your HDMI output of your GPU and converts it to a bitstream that is then displayed on the webpage.

I have a capture card, but do you have any suggestions on how to convert it to a bitstream and get it displayed on the webpage at the same time I can use a mouse and keyboard to control the VM remotely? Thanks a lot!!!

GPU as the animation is quite smooth especial on SPICE protocol.
You should have mentioned that in the beginning, you only stated NoVNC and that is totally different and NEVER works with hardware acceleration. SPICE can use hardware support, because the X server does know that it is outputting stuff via a virtual display. The problem with SPICE is that MacOS has no SPICE display driver and therefore it does and will not work.

You should have mentioned that in the beginning, you only stated NoVNC and that is totally different and NEVER works with hardware acceleration. SPICE can use hardware support, because the X server does know that it is outputting stuff via a virtual display. The problem with SPICE is that MacOS has no SPICE display driver and therefore it does and will not work.
I was not clear on the theory behind, now everything explains, thank you!!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!