LXC ZFS + docker overlay2 driver

Best practice to run Docker, according to Wiki, is to use a VM and not a LXC:
If you want to run application containers, for example, Docker images, it is recommended that you run them inside a Proxmox QEMU VM. This will give you all the advantages of application containerization, while also providing the benefits that VMs offer, such as strong isolation from the host and the ability to live-migrate, which otherwise isn’t possible with containers.

But I guess you meant best practice when using a LXC. ;)

Best practice to run Docker, according to Wiki, is to use a VM and not a LXC:

But I guess you meant best practice when using a LXC. ;)

Yes, wasn't that what i wrote - docker/zfs/lxc ;) I know VM's are recommended but they are very resource heavy and feel sluggish, particularly for this situation (with a container environment inside a virtual machine) - but I realize that may just be my subjective impression.

Yes, wasn't that what i wrote - docker/zfs/lxc ;) I know VM's are recommended but they are very resource heavy and feel sluggish, particularly for this situation (with a container environment inside a virtual machine) - but I realize that may just be my subjective impression.
While not as efficient, the benefit of a docker VM is, that PVE updates won't break your docker installation all the time. So great if you want stability and availability with less time wasted fixing stuff. Just a bit RAM hungry when you prefer a dedicated docker VM for each container stack to be able to easier migrate your single services between nodes.

Reactions: LnxBil
While not as efficient, the benefit of a docker VM is, that PVE updates won't break your docker installation all the time. So great if you want stability and availability with less time wasted fixing stuff. Just a bit RAM hungry when you prefer a dedicated docker VM for each container stack to be able to easier migrate your single services between nodes.
Or as always ... just install Docker on your PVE host itself. Then you WILL have all benefits from ZFS and WILL break everything if you're doing something wrong or got hacked ... just as with LX(C) containers, but with more benefits.

Or as always ... just install Docker on your PVE host itself. Then you WILL have all benefits from ZFS and WILL break everything if you're doing something wrong or got hacked ... just as with LX(C) containers, but with more benefits.
How come I get the feeling you don't really like LXC containers?

How come I get the feeling you don't really like LXC containers?
They're great, but not for running Docker and have their special and limited use case. If you have to break every security barrier in order to get things running inside of LX(C) containers you're doing something wrong. In an HA environment, LX(C) containers are currently also very limited ... no live migration.

Reactions: Dunuin
They're great, but not for running Docker and have their special and limited use case. If you have to break every security barrier in order to get things running inside of LX(C) containers you're doing something wrong. In an HA environment, LX(C) containers are currently also very limited ... no live migration.
Actually I don't need live migrations. Which security barrier do you mean are broken for Docker? I run it unprivileged. Nesting is enabled, but I think that just means it will allow running one type of virtualization inside another?

Which security barrier do you mean are broken for Docker? I run it unprivileged. Nesting is enabled, but I think that just means it will allow running one type of virtualization inside another?
Nesting for example weakens the isolation by letting the LXC access the hosts /proc and /sys filesystems. Similar thing with keyctl and fuse. And editing user/group remapping is lowering isolation too. And all the cgroup stuff that you edit to be able to use the hosts hardware in a LXC.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcd
It looks like fuse-overlayfs will still be needed if you don't use a 'raw' disk or if you are bind mounting the '/var/lib/docker' directory - like I'm doing. I would really rather not lose this ability as I can make my LXC pretty small and just put the docker directory somewhere else. If the LXC ever fails, I don't have to go through the time-consuming effort of recreating all my containers.

Nesting for example weakens the isolation by letting the LXC access the hosts /proc and /sys filesystems. Similar thing with keyctl and fuse. And editing user/group remapping is lowering isolation too. And all the cgroup stuff that you edit to be able to use the hosts hardware in a LXC.
As far as weakening security too much, I agree for a business or enterprise scenario, but in a home lab, I find that running lean is much more of a priority, and LXC's, even if they're privileged, nesting, ID remapped, etc., provide just that.

So does anyone know what enabled this to start working? Something in the 6.x kernel series? LXC itself?
These commits in ZFS :
* https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/commit/86db35c447aa3f4cc848497d78d54ec9c985d1ed
* https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/commit/dbf6108b4df92341eea40d0b41792ac16eabc514

Some more history in the PR : https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/9414

Working thanks to ZFS >= 2.2.0

* Proxmox 8.1 default kernel 6.5 has it.
* Proxmox 7.4 can't tell which exact kernel.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!