LXC FTP not working inside container

mariuscotan

Jan 27, 2014
Hello,

i have a problem after i have upgraded my sistem to Proxmox 4.X version. I have converted my containers to LXC but since then, i can't use ftp anymore.

My production container is a centos 5.10 x64 (i know, this is not officialy suppoorted) and i have also tried with a new machine with Debian 8.2 x64, officialy downloaded from the proxmox dashboard.

pveversion
pve-manager/4.0-57/cc7c2b53 (running kernel: 4.2.3-2-pve)

I've tried pureftpd, proftpd, vsftpd but none is working (centos and debian)
I've read in a forum that ipv6 can cause problems so i have deactivated ipv6 in my vms

vi /etc/sysctl.conf
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6=1

I have another server with proxmox 2.x and openvz and i have there the same centos 5.10 vm and that is working without any problems.

The only message that i get in filezilla or winscp is:

In centos 5.10

Code:
Error:    Could not connect to server
Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error:    Could not connect to server

In debian 8.2
Code:
Status:    Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command:    PWD
Response:    257 "/" is your current location
Command:    TYPE I
Response:    200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
Command:    PORT 192,168,0,10,254,143
Response:    500 I won't open a connection to 192.168.0.10 (only to 178.115.129.162)
Command:    PASV
Response:    227 Entering Passive Mode (185,110,24,147,120,129)
Command:    MLSD
Error:    Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error:    Failed to retrieve directory listing

Do you have an ideea how to solve this?

Br,
Marius

Hello,
I am not sure if it is related to your problem, but after the last upgrade today I noticed a problem with a hostname - it put short hostname instead a full and some services refuse to start, after reboot hostname still gets shortened so services must be restarted hand to hand. Is there a way to put a normal hostname instead a shortened? What I mean server.hostname.com gets renamed to server only....

it put short hostname instead a full and some services refuse to start, after reboot hostname still gets shortened so services must be restarted hand to hand.

/etc/hostname should not contain a FQDN. Please report a bug to the service maintainer if a service requires that. Instead, put an alias into /etc/hosts (see "man hostname")

/etc/hostname should not contain a FQDN. Please report a bug to the service maintainer if a service requires that. Instead, put an alias into /etc/hosts (see "man hostname")

Thank you for an update. Yes, it was set previously in /etc/hosts

Whenever I am updating /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts - the fqdn and hostname still remains the short hostname... Maybe there is still a problem with that? I am using Debian distros - Wheezy and Jessie and the situation is same. I have restarted the main node after upgrade.

You need to set that in the container config (DNS tab on GUI)

Dear dietmar,

I am very sorry for possible off topic and repeating myself. I have already stated that everything was fine before today upgrades, I had no issues since proxmox 3, I believe there might be an issue in Proxmox itself rather than my containers, as a proof I have created testing machine (Debian 8):

snap2.jpg

Commands from the virtual machine

root@test:~# hostname
test
root@test:~# hostname -f
test
root@test:~# hostname -s
test
root@test:~# cat /etc/hostname
test
root@test:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
127.0.1.1 test

As you see no fqdn is supplied after installation, LXC config looks normal:

root@node1:~# cat /etc/pve/lxc/104.conf
arch: amd64
cpulimit: 1
cpuunits: 1024
hostname: test.machine.org
memory: 512
net0: bridge=vmbr1,hwaddr=36:65:35:63:62:64,ip=dhcp,name=eth0,type=veth
ostype: debian
rootfs: ct:vm-104-disk-1,size=8G
swap: 512

I think it would be faster to resolve an issue if you could try to set up the container, if you wish I can deploy your ssh key for investigation. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Same problem on Proxmox4. Under DNS GUI I have the full hostname but after every reboot it keeps getting the short as described above.

I'm pasting below my config + output 9just changed my IP + hostname for the example):

root@proxmox2 ~ # cat /etc/pve/lxc/101.conf
arch: amd64
cpulimit: 6
cpuunits: 1024
hostname: email1.mydomain.com
memory: 8192
nameserver: 208.67.222.222 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4
net0: bridge=vmbr0,gw=192.168.1.10,hwaddr=32:63:32:30:38:36,ip=192.168.1.10/32,name=eth0,type=veth
ostype: debian
rootfs: local:101/vm-101-disk-1.raw,size=60G
searchdomain: google.de
swap: 8192

root@email1:~# hostname -f
email1

root@email1:~# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
::1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
192.168.1.10 email1 email1.mydomain.com

Even if you put an alias after a reboot it change it back to the short name.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!