[SOLVED] LXC container snapshot problem

Koleon

Jun 9, 2023
Dear Proxmox community,

I run PVE 8.2.7 installed on Debian 12 (as I wanted to have a full disk encryption via Secure Boot) with encrypted ZFS pool. Then I created a dataset with some custom attributes (compression, quotas, refQuotas) and added it via GUI - Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> Directory with all Content (Disk Image, ISO images etc.) allowed. Unfortunately, when I try to create snapshot of a newly created Container running Debian 12, I see only "The current guest configuration does not support taking new snapshots" in the GUI.

1727682093537.png
Could you help me to debug the problem, please? What's wrong with this setup?
I've noticed only this recommendation https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS:_Tips_and_Tricks#Snapshot_of_LXC_on_ZFS, but I'm not getting any error as the GUI does not let me to proceed.

I would be grateful for any hints.
Thank you

Please show your container configuration file with pct config 100. Maybe it has some mountpoints?
Hi @leesteken
thank you for prompt reply. Here's the output:

Code:
root@pve:~# pct config 100
arch: amd64
cores: 2
hostname: test.home.arpa
memory: 2048
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,gw=192.168.50.1,hwaddr=BC:24:11:E8:FB:BD,ip=192.168.50.4/24,tag=50,type=veth
ostype: debian
rootfs: vm-ct-drives:100/vm-100-disk-0.raw,size=8G
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1

Bingo! Thanks a lot, that was the issue.

Well, I'm still new to the Proxmox ecosystem and I couldn't find much about Storage best-practice so I created the Directory storage type.
Now, I recreated the vm-ct-drives as the ZFS (local) and deployed the Debian container the same way and snapshot feature works. Even though this storage type supports only VM Disks and CT Volumes.. :rolleyes:
Would you recommended me to stick with ZFS (local) for VMs and CTs and use Directory storage type for CT Templates, ISOs, Backups? Or is it better to use the Directory for VMs/CTs with qcow2 format? What are the pros and cons please?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!