lxc.cgroup.cpuset.cpus not being respected

Jim O

Jan 2, 2016
I'msing Proxmox 4.1 with uname-r 4.2.6-1-pve.

I have tried the following setting in /var/lib/lxc/103/config :

lxc.cgroup.cpuset.cpus = 0,1

Unfortunately I see all of the host's CPU's in "top" and in "cat /proc/cpuinfo"

If I run "lxc-cgroup -n 103 cpuset.cpus 0,1" on the host it has the desired effect and I see only the two CPU's in "top" and in "cat /proc/cpuinfo".

Is this a known bug? Any workaround besides using the command line in the host?

Sir, a very wise former United States senator and diplomat once said (I'll paraphrase) that people are entitled to their own opinions but not to their own facts.

We can agree to disagree on whether it "works", and perhaps we understand that word differently. If, as in this case, a tool "works" as expected from the command line but the same tool does NOT work when placed in the config file, that is not something that "works". The first part of that sentence is the facts, the last part is my opinion. With all due respect, your opinion goes against the facts. This tool is designed to limit a specific container to a specific CPU core or to a group of CPU cores. It's different from limiting overall CPU access. I want my customers only seeing a certain number of CPU's for which they have paid. I do not want them having that much information regarding the host and I do not want their processes necessarily interfering with other containers on the same host. That is is (at least one) purpose of the command. It "works" as expected when executed from the command line. It does not work at all when placed in the config file.

Peace, out.

SThis tool is designed to limit a specific container to a specific CPU core or to a group of CPU cores. It's different from limiting overall CPU access.

OH, I see - you manually limit the number of cpus using lxc.cgroup.cpuset.cpus. I personally would not do that, because it pins your container to those specific CPUs - but I guess there is a use case.

Besides, you need to add custom lxc setting in /etc/pve/lxc/<CTID>.conf. Everything works as expected if you do that.

Placing that line in /etc/pve/lxc/103.conf has no effect on container 103. All of the host's CPU cores still show in the container.

Works here, you also have to restart the container as manual changes to the /etc/pve files don't get hot-applied by us.
(At startup the config in /var/lib/lxc gets replaced with the data from the one in /etc/pve/lxc)

Works here, you also have to restart the container as manual changes to the /etc/pve files don't get hot-applied by us.
(At startup the config in /var/lib/lxc gets replaced with the data from the one in /etc/pve/lxc)
My mistake. I had rebooted from within the container. Rebooting the container from the host did produce the desired effect. Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!