LXC Backup Larger in PBS than in vzdump

Karlyn

Dec 1, 2020
Hi,

I have been running proxmox with a Centos LXC Container I use as a Samba Server for a few years. The container uses mountpoints to expose my files from the underlying Debian OS via Samba. This machine backs up in vzdump to a size of about 2GB. It is obvious that it doesn't follow the mounts and backup data just because of the resultant size of the backup file.

I setup PBS on a separate machine to test it with my existing server. Adding it to the datacenter storage works ok, and adding all VMs and LXC containers to the backup job yields good results. However, the LXC in question now takes more than 30 minutes to complete and shows in PBS as being larger than 500GB in size. browsing the backup on the PBS server also seems to indicate that none of the mount points are being followed causing the size/backup time issue.

Additionally, when I look at the aggregate size of all backups for that cycle, the storage use is much lower ( for comparisons sake, the initial backup used 70GB on the PBS server for all VMs and LXC containers being backed up ).

I cannot figure out what might be going on here. I have other LXC containers with mount points that don't have this issue. i also have other VMs that don't seem to exhibit this issue.

For reference, the host being backed up is running PVE 6.3-2, and the PBS doing the backup is the latest install ( 1.0-5 ).

can you post the container config?
pct config ID

can you post the container config?
pct config ID
More than happy to :

arch: amd64
cores: 4
hostname: samba
memory: 1024
mp0: /export/opt,mp=/export/opt
mp1: /export/iso,mp=/export/iso
mp2: /dvr/movies,mp=/dvr/movies
mp3: /export2/chome,mp=/home
mp4: /export2/group,mp=/export2/group
mp5: /scratch,mp=/scratch
mp6: /raidpool/technet,mp=/raidpool/technet
nameserver: 10.2.4.42 10.2.1.73
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,gw=10.2.4.1,hwaddr=A6:67:C8:2E:66:45,ip=10.2.4.15/23,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: centos
rootfs: zssd:subvol-103-disk-0,size=20G
searchdomain: ad.net
swap: 1024

Last edited:
do you maybe have large sparse files? the client has no explicit sparse file support, so it has to scan the whole file and finds many zeroes.
it does not really uploads that much or uses that much space, but the file appears to be bigger...

It is possible. I did some searching on the host and could not find anything significant. I think it is time to rebuild that LXC container with a newer OS anyways. I'll try that, and I'm willing to bet it will fix the issue.

Thanks for the help

It is possible. I did some searching on the host and could not find anything significant. I think it is time to rebuild that LXC container with a newer OS anyways. I'll try that, and I'm willing to bet it will fix the issue.

Thanks for the help
Do you rebuilding the container helped? I have the same problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!