[SOLVED] LXC Backup faild ( exit code 23 )

demon_mono

Nov 24, 2020
Hello,

One of my CT can not be saved since few days. I don't explain why . Here is the save log :

Code:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 105 --compress zstd --storage save_vz --node server --mode suspend --remove 0
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 105 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2020-11-24 17:09:48
INFO: status = running
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: CT Name: devloprog-nextcloud
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: including mount point mp0 ('/var/www/nextcloud/data/') in backup
INFO: starting first sync /proc/2514103/root/ to /SAVE_VZ/dump/vzdump-lxc-105-2020_11_24-17_09_48.tmp
ERROR: Backup of VM 105 failed - command 'rsync --stats -h -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --sparse --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/2514103/root//./ /proc/2514103/root//./var/www/nextcloud/data/ /SAVE_VZ/dump/vzdump-lxc-105-2020_11_24-17_09_48.tmp' failed: exit code 23
INFO: Failed at 2020-11-24 17:17:36
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

Regards,

rsync returning 23 means 'Partial transfer due to error'. does a snapshot (if all your volumes support it) or stop mode backup work? alternatively, you could try adding '-v --progress' to the rsync command-line arguments, change the target directory, and attempt the rsync manually..

One file could not be saved due to read error. I delete it , and that works !

I keep in mind the rsync verbose option.

Thanks !

Hi,

I am new to Proxmox and special to lxc.
I have my storage configured the oldschool way, that means LVM, ext4 and /var/lib/vz.
When I try to take a backup of a lxc container I get the error mentioned above.
Would be LVM thin a solution for me, or do I have to deal with zfs, if I would be able to take snapshots?

Hi fabian,

thanks for your answer!
In the meantime I have tried both, with Docker inside LXC (I know it's not the prefered/supported way) and both are running fine.

For ZFS I have to enable fuse-overlayfs storage driver in Docker:
https://c-goes.github.io/posts/proxmox-lxc-docker-fuse-overlayfs/

Therefore I think I am going with lvm-thin for performing a snaphost backup on the lxc containers.

Hi All!
Have the same issue. One of my LXC failed to backup:
NFO: resume vm
INFO: guest is online again after 1 seconds
ERROR: Backup of VM 110 failed - command 'rsync --stats -h -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --inplace --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/8865/root//./ /vms/temp/vzdumptmp3583133_110/' failed: exit code 23
INFO: Failed at 2022-09-08 05:22:56
INFO: Backup job finished with errors
TASK ERROR: job errors

When I try to run command from console(rsync --stats -h -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --inplace --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/8865/root//./ /vms/temp/vzdumptmp3583133_110/') - I have no error.

Is a way to change rsync options for GUI/backup job?

I have no idea. Please help!

Thank you fabian!
I try to find out a reason by adding -v --progress to /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/LXC.pm
but seems changes not applied.

my $rsync = ['rsync', '-v', '--progress', '--stats', '-h', @xattr, '--numeric-ids',
'-aH', '--delete', '--no-whole-file',
($first ? '--sparse' : '--inplace'),
'--one-file-system', '--relative'];

Output still
command 'rsync --stats -h -X -A --numeric-ids -aH --delete --no-whole-file --inplace --one-file-system --relative '--exclude=/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/tmp/?*' '--exclude=/var/run/?*.pid' /proc/8865/root//./ /vms/temp/vzdumptmp1157870_110/' failed: exit code 23

I'll try to apply patch described in https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2021-September/049894.html
bun not sure how to apply it correctly.

I pinged it a few weeks ago ;)

Reactions: MaFL
@fabian

Is it possible to add "-av --progress" to the default /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/LXC.pm script or is there any other way to achieve the same output?
So all LXC backups have this option enabled by default? or add a checkbox "show progress/debug" to the backup task in Proxmox GUI?

Best regards,

Marco

@fabian

Is it possible to add "-av --progress" to the default /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump/LXC.pm script or is there any other way to achieve the same output?
So all LXC backups have this option enabled by default? or add a checkbox "show progress/debug" to the backup task in Proxmox GUI?

Best regards,

Marco
that would blow up the task log for no reason.. you can always manually add that in (and restart/reload PVE services afterwards) when debugging though. note that the patch in question (dropping in place overwriting of changed files) that fixes some of the common occurrences of error 23 is now applied in git and will be released with the next pve-container version!

Reactions: mangelot
The typical problem is that you are running ZFS without POSIX ACL Support.

The LXC container has ACL settings inside its filesystem and the 'snaphot' backup process that the Proxmox VE host runs is an rsync to the /var/tmp directory. If POSIX ACL is not turned on in the rpool/ROOT/pve-1 dataset (and it isn't by default for whatever strange reason, and the Proxmox devs should and hopefully will do that in the next release), then the rsync will fail.

TEST:

Bash:
$ zfs get acltype rpool/ROOT/pve-1

if it returns:

Bash:
NAME              PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
rpool/ROOT/pve-1  acltype   off       default

That means ACL's are not on.

SOLUTION:

Enable ZFS POSIX ACLs:

Bash:
$ zfs set acltype=posixacl rpool/ROOT/pve-1

Check it again:

Bash:
$ zfs get acltype rpool/ROOT/pve-1

if it returns:

Bash:
NAME              PROPERTY  VALUE     SOURCE
rpool/ROOT/pve-1  acltype   posix     local

then Success!

Now try that LXC Backup again!

Credit goes to this guy: @CH.illig --> https://forum.proxmox.com/members/ch-illig.36347/ for his post (in German - thank you Google Translate):
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/lxc-backup-fehler-wegen-acl.129309/

I hope this helps!

Reactions: joeplaa
I just ran into this issue this afternoon after setting up my first install for PBS.

I have a few VM's running on my homelab and am curious what the ramifications would be of running this command?

Hopefully it doesn't cause any issues, but if it does, would the revert command be:

Code:
zfs set acltype=default rpool/ROOT/pve-1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!