LXC add linux.kernel_modules

KevinGoos

May 24, 2019
I am trying to setup an LXC container (debian) as a kubernetes node.
I am so far that the only thing in the way is the kubeadm init script...

Code:
error execution phase preflight: [preflight] Some fatal errors occurred:
        [ERROR SystemVerification]: failed to parse kernel config: unable to load kernel module: "configs", output: "modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/5.4.44-2-pve/modules.dep.bin'\nmodprobe: FATAL: Module configs not found in directory /lib/modules/5.4.44-2-pve\n", err: exit status 1
[preflight] If you know what you are doing, you can make a check non-fatal with `--ignore-preflight-errors=...`
To see the stack trace of this error execute with --v=5 or higher

After some research I figured out that I probably need to add the following: linux.kernel_modules: ip_tables,ip6_tables,netlink_diag,nf_nat,overlay
But adding this to /etc/pve/lxc/107.conf doesn't do anything.

Does anybody have a clue how to add the linux kernel modules?

hi,

you need to load the modules on the host machine, because containers are sharing the kernel with the host.

hi,

you need to load the modules on the host machine, because containers are sharing the kernel with the host.

Hey,

Yes, from everything I read I understood that I need to load the kernel part from the host machine.
But I am a totale noob in low level LXC containers on proxmox so can you give me a hint how to start with this, that would be awesome!

I put the same question on stackoverflow and there I also got an anwser. (I still need to test that)
The anwser I got there looked to be for basic linux LXC combination.
And I have no clue how much proxmox differs from the default way of installing LXC on linux?

Last edited:
Hey,

Yes, from everything I read I understood that I need to load the kernel part from the host machine.
But I am a totale noob in low level LXC containers on proxmox so can you give me a hint how to start with this, that would be awesome!

I put the same question on stackoverflow and there I also got an anwser. (I still need to test that)
The anwser I got there looked to be for basic linux LXC combination.
And I have no clue how much proxmox differs from the default way of installing LXC on linux?

you should be able to install any kernel module on your host machine and run modprobe $modname inside the container (where $modname is the name of the module)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!