LVM-Thin error create vm and backup restore

rafafell

Sep 24, 2016
I'm enabling lvm-thin, but I had trouble following the proxmox documentation (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_lvm and https: //pve.proxmox. com / wiki / Storage: _LVM_Thin)

I did the following (first try):

# fdisk / dev / sdb >> to format in LVM and have two partitions (/ dev / sdb1 and / dev / sdb2)

# pvcreate --metadatasize 250k -y -ff / dev / sdb1 / dev / sdb2

# vgcreate vg01 / dev / sdb1 / dev / sdb2

# lvcreate -L 2,72T -n lv01 vg01

# mkfs.ext4 / dev / vg01 / lv01

# mkdir / var / lib / vz / lv01

# echo '/ dev / vg01 / lv01 / var / lib / vz / lv01 ext4 defaults 0 2' >> / etc / fstab

# lvconvert --type thin-pool vg01 / lv01
# mount / var / lib / vz / lv01

Then I added it in "Datacenter> Storage> Add type> LVM-Thin"

error when creating a vm:

Logical volume vg01 / lv01 contains a filesystem in use.
TASK ERROR: unable to create VM 101 - lvcreate 'pve05-vg01 / vm-101-disk-0' error: Aborting. Could not deactivate thin pool vg01 / lv01.

error while restoring a bkp

Logical volume pve05-vg01 / pve05-lv01 contains a filesystem in use.
no lock found trying to remove 'create' lock
TASK ERROR: command 'set -o pipefail && lzop -d -c /mnt/pve/fn01/dump/vzdump-qemu-102-2019_07_10-02_50_50.vma.lzo | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp11606.fifo - / var / tmp / vzdumptmp11606 'failed: lvcreate' pve05-vg01 / vm-100-disk-0 'error: Aborting. Could not deactivate thin pool pve05-vg01 / pve05-lv01.

###################################

The way it worked was as follows (second try):

# pvcreate --metadatasize 250k /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2

# vgcreate vg01 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdb2

# lvcreate -T -l 100% FREE -n lv01 vg01

Then I added it in "Datacenter> Storage> Add type> LVM-Thin"

###############################

What did I miss while following the documentation to make these errors?

why on the second try lv does not appear in "df -h" and I do not need to format for ext4 and mount?

Best

pvcreate --metadatasize 250k -y -ff / dev / sdb1 / dev / sdb2
There is no need to split up the disk into 2 partitions and then put them in one single pv - just use the whole disk if you want to.
(you can also wipe the disk and create the LVM-Thin Storage via GUI -> 'Node' -> 'Disks' btw.)
# lvcreate -L 2,72T -n lv01 vg01
# mkfs.ext4 / dev / vg01 / lv01
Here you do create a regular lv and format it with a ext4 filesystem - this is not a thin-pool (see `man lvmthin`)

You can use this as a directory storage - just mount it via '/etc/fstab' and add it as directory storage to '/etc/pve/storage.cfg'

why on the second try lv does not appear in "df -h" and I do not need to format for ext4 and mount?
because here you did create a thin-pool - which in itself is not a filesystem, but a block-device (actually 2 lvms - one for data and one for metadata) - you can see how much is used etc. by the `lvs` command (see `man lvs`)

Please check out our reference documentation: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvesm.html

I hope this helps!

Reactions: rafafell

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!