LVM Group Removal Bug?

mpeters

Mar 20, 2013
Montreal, Canada
I have one ProxMox host running with no VMs active.

Through the Datacenter | Storage Tab, I added an iSCSI target with no problems. It now appears in the storage list.

Then I created an LVM group (eg VG001) using my iSCSI lun as base. So far so good. It too appears in the storage list.

Then I remove the LVM group. It disappears from the storage list.

Then I try to create another LVM group (eg VG002) using the same iSCSI base device.

The dialog reports an error - that the original LVM (VG001) is still assigned to the iSCSI device.

When I shell into the Proxmox host, vgdisplay shows that group VG001 still exists.

I remove VG001 using vgremove.

Then back in the GUI, I try to create a new LVM group on the same iSCSI lun, and it works!

Please advise if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance.

I have seen the same behavior when doing some tests. Apparently pve-manager does not completely remove the lvm group due to its shared nature.

Just to clarify...

The VG was originally created through the GUI (not using LVM tools).

Should it not also be removed physically when it is removed thru' the GUI (in order to maintain sync between the GUI layer and the underlying LVM)?

Perhaps the ability to remove VGs thru' the GUI should be disabled, and/or a warning message should be displayed such as "Please use LVM tools to remove this VG".

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!