[SOLVED] lvm.conf filter for when we use rbd in the hypervisor and lvm inside virtual machines

Nov 3, 2022
Hello,

I post this here just in case it helps anyone else.
I am using ceph rbd to store the disk images for my virtual machines, and some of the virtual machines use lvm inside their own virtual disks. When I start such virtual machines, proxmox's lvm scans their volumes, and these volumes appear in the hypervisor too. If more than one machine uses the same volume group name I see warnings like this one when calling, for example, lvs in the hypervisor:

WARNING: VG name debian-vg is used by VGs yBrmdR-XXXX... and EvMdU0-YYYY...
Fix duplicate VG names with vgrename uuid, a device filter, or system IDs.

One way to fix this is to tell lvm to not scan rbd devices. Proxmox it is already configured to avoid scanning zfs zvols, so we only need to extend the filter so it also ignores rbd devices. To do this, one can edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and change this line:

global_filter=["r|/dev/zd.*|"]

to this one:

global_filter=["r|/dev/zd.*|","r|/dev/rbd.*|"]

As far as I know lvm will reload this config the next time a lvm command is called, and just in case I called lvs after editing lvm.conf. Well, at least this has worked for me :)

Best regards,
Fernando

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!