LTO-5 Tape Drive as backup drive

Hi!
Yes i know, but as there's not enough space on my local RAID to store more than one backup simultanously, i was thinking of a possibility to store more than one backup file on the tape.

This being my backup to tape script

Code:
#!/bin/bash

TAPE=/dev/st0
echo "Start Time: `date +'%Y-%m-%d %T'`"
mt -f $TAPE defcompression 1
mt -f $TAPE rewind
cd /usr/local/backup/daily/dump/
tar -b 256 -cvf $TAPE ./vzdump*.gz
echo "Start writing Tape:`date +'%Y-%m-%d %T'`."
echo "Stop writing Tape:`date +'%Y-%m-%d %T'`"
mt -f $TAPE eject
echo "Backup finished: `date +'%Y-%m-%d %T'`"

What could i do to leave 2 or 3 backups on the tape before deleting the oldest one?

Thanks
Sascha
Hi,
you can't delete jobs there are on the tape before newer tar-jobs! If you overwrite content on a tape, all data behind that mark are lost.

You can jump to (or after) an specific tar-count and write the next data there (see "mt fsf N" or to the end of writen data "eof") - but it's neccesary to use the norewind-device for that - mean /dev/nst0 instead of /dev/st0.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!