[SOLVED] Low speed nic(Intel X550T2BLK)

Sarge

Renowned Member
Dec 17, 2015
Hi.
On two nodes of proxmox 7.4 installed network cards Intel X550T2BLK 2xRG45 10Gb/s in bridges separate from management.
Bash:
ethtool enp216s0f1 | grep -i speed
        Speed: 10000Mb/s

But when copying a 5-gigabyte file between nodes, the speed does not exceed 4-5 gigabits(must be at least 10)!
Bash:
scp test2.txt root@10.1.10.100:/tmp
test2.txt   100% 5120MB 631.1MB/s   00:08

How can I solve this problem or diagnose the network card?

Last edited:
For one you could remove the overhead that SSH introduces (shouldn't be too much, but still) by using iperf. You can install it with apt install iperf. Simply run iperf -s -e on one node and iperf -c <host-ip> -e -i 1 on another. You could also use the -P <N> flag to have several concurrent streams. Please post the results here for a clearer picture.

Could you also give some information on how your nodes are network? E.g. what kind of switch do you use, is there other traffic that the switch needs to handle etc. etc.

PS: There is also iperf3, but just because it sounds like it's a newer tool doesn't mean it is always the better tool to use. For example, it is not multi-threaded so the -P doesn't change anything if you are CPU-bound. Both, iperf (sometimes also referred to as iperf2) and iperf3, are still actively maintained.

Last edited:
Big thx sterzy!
Really SSH protocol reduces the transmission speed.
With iperf result been:
[ 3] 0.0000-10.0012 sec 11.0 GBytes 9.42 Gbits/sec 0/0 0 NA/0 us 0.00

Once again many thanks!

Reactions: sterzy
Great to hear that, please mark this thread as solved so others with the same problem can find it more easily. You can do that clicking "Edit Thread" on top and then selecting the Prefix "Solved". Thanks!

Reactions: Sarge

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!