Lost data after backup restore

Ko5464stya54

Jun 2, 2019
Hi!

I was running container in Proxmox. There was one volume excluded from backup (on dpool).
After restore from backup (to rpool) Proxmox removed volume on dpool and created empty on rpool.
I have lost my data...
Help! How can I restore that zfs dataset for that volume?

Can I use

zpool import -o readonly=on -D -f -T <LAST-GOOD-TXG> poolName

if last pool operation was 'destroy'?

Last edited:
Hi,

If the last operation was zfs destroy, then your data are gone.

Hi,

If the last operation was zfs destroy, then your data are gone.

Now I know it...

But I still does not understand why Proxmox destroyed CT disk that was not contained in backup.
When making backup I checked only one disk for backup. After restore such backup Proxmox destroyed two disks: one, which has backup copy and other, that does not.
May be it will be better just to rename such disk and allow user to make cleanup later?

an-inplace restore overwrites the existing container. the GUI even tells you so and let's you confirm before proceeding..

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!