Loss of Quorum

PorxDewy

Mar 5, 2015
I have two servers in my test lab running proxmox 3.4. I have configured them as a two node cluster:
1: Dell PowerEdge 860 && 1: HP Compac dc7800 Sff pc. Both 64 bit and both support VT and VT is enabled in bios.
All updates and upgrades done. All host file entries done and network/interfaces configured for my needs.
Also installed are openvswitch-switch openvswitch-common.
This is not a problem.
pve and quorum - Copy.PNG

Everything is ok for EXACTLY 7 minutes after boot from screen below(just a downloaded example not my actual screen) and yes I have timer this with precision.
Blue Proxmox screen.png

Then I get this (edited by me )

quorum - Copy (2).PNG
This happens exactly 7 minutes after boot every time, regardless of how many times I reboot.
I have a feeling this is a multicast problem but have no idea what exactly.
I have installed ssmping and on running this get
multicast *********************
unicast ********************
so that is working.

I have tried re-installing proxmox and still the same .
I would be glad of any solution to the problem.
Regards.

Attachments

• quorum - Copy.PNG
    quorum - Copy.PNG
    154.4 KB · Views: 11
  • quorum.PNG
    quorum.PNG
    157.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Hello PorxDevy,

In order to be sure that multicast is functioning correctly try also to have a look at the packages sent/received in both nodes by

Code:
tcpdump -e -n -i eth0 | grep "239\.192\.181\.106"

Adapt in the above interface name and multicast IP if needed!

Have a look if all packages sent from one node arrive at the other!

Also a look into syslog (/var/log/syslog) may help!

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

With 2 nodes, configure unicast in the cluster is more efficient in terms of networking performance, and also avoid that this problem continue.

If you have a switch managed, also you should configure the switch for that the multicast packages can be transmitted between hosts. But with unicast configured in your PVE cluster, this isn't necessary.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!