Looking for help to wipe sas drives

warloxian

Jun 26, 2021
I had the last version of Proxmox installed on my cluster. Since I didnt have anything important, I just started over and installed 7.0 on every node in my cluster. I was having problems with joining them all together. Through my research it seems that I had too much information left over on my sas drives from last install and that seemed to be what was causing my problems. So here I ma trying to find a way to write zero's to all the sas drives. I havent been able to find a method that works though. I've tried booting gparted live, wipemydisks, active kill disk etc... The only device any of these programs finds is the usb that i have the wiping software installed on. Is there a way for me to wipe all drives inside the server? I pulled the drives to wipe them individually, but I didn't realize the connector was different on sas drives and even though I built my own connector, neither windows or Linux is able to ID what i have attached through USB. SO i either need a way to wipe internally or I need some type of driver for Win10 or Linux to recognize my sas drives? I'd rather wipe in the servers because , even though I am just going to write zero's , it is going to take a very long time for me to wipe 26 hard drives one at a time. I also should note that I do not have matching servers. I am running a hillbilly cluster that includes a R610, DL360g5, DL380G7, ML330G6 and two PC's that were converted to Proxmox. I can wipe the PC hard drives , no problem, but I have 4 servers. Any help, like usual, will be reciprocated once I have learned the basics, as servers are all new technology to me...thanks for taking some of your valuable time to assist me.

I dont think that you have to zero out the whole disks (taking a long time).

I guess your problems are old fs signatures like lvm or zfs.

you can wipe those very fast by zeroing the first view bytes on this (please google for details) or probably wipefs

the installer formats your partitions, so there should be no (visible) remains of previous installations

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
OK, Thanks for your advise. I did end up setting each disk as a raid0 and then I booted dban and i was able to zero 2 disks at a time. I would like to add to this question.
1. Should I remove all but one disk when i install Prox again? I keep seeing people comment that they install Prox on one disk to save room for VM's.
2. What would be the best raid set-up for my Prox servers? Should I keep it at radi0? I know raid0 has no redundancy, but I am just building a home hacking lab and , at least at this time, I shouldn't have anything too important that would cause me headaches if I were to loose a disk?
Once again, I appreciate your valuable time to assist me and once I have this down I will always reciprocate and help others to have a successful relationship with this operating system. So far, I have nothing but good to say about Prox, the only problems I have had are because of my lack of expertise. Last year I didn't even know what sudo meant. Now I have a pretty good handle on Linux. I should have a good handle on Prox withing a few months as well, but I am trying to speed up my knowledge, I honestly hate asking for help, but I will ask for help every step of the way so I can get this lab up and running. I plan to bring some young people in and try and train them so they can get a job in the network security industry. I am not going to charge a dime to train them. Open source has helped me and I plan to have open source training as well

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!