Logitech Unifying Receiver stops working after it's removed and plugged back in

matthei

Aug 20, 2021
If I disconnect and reconnect the Logitech Unifying Receiver (usb-passthru to a Windows VM) it no longer works, I have to restart the VM to get it working again.

The USB passthru is per-port (from config file: usb0: host=3-1.1.1,usb3=1)
When disconnecting the USB receiver dongle, the host outputs these messages:

usb 3-1.1.1-port2: cannot reset (err = -71)
usb 3-1.1.1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
usb 3-1.1.1-port2: cannot disable (err = -71)

usb 3-1.1.1-port2: Cannot enable. Maybe the USB cable is bad?
usb 3-1.1.1-port2: cannot disable (err = -71)

... and so on, about 5 repetitions, and then final line:
hub 3-1.1.1:1.0:  hub_ext_port_status failed (err = -71)

I can unplug & replug other devices just fine, it's just this Unifying receiver that's causing this. Perhaps the unifying receiver is itself a USB hub, and it's not playing well with something? I can also unplug & re-plug a regular USB hub (ugreen brand) and all devices connected to it get reconnected back normally within seconds.

Reasons: I'd like to use the same mouse & keyboard for both VMs (each has it's own GPU passed thru). I have a 4-port USB "switch" that can toggle the USBs between two devices, but i've just wired both inputs into the same host machine. But to make sure that the issue is not this USB switch, I've tested simply removing the Unifying receiver and reconnecting it back, and it's this error.

I appreciate any help or pointers you can give me on this subject, thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,
a stupid suggestion from me :). Did you try plugin the Unifiying receiver into a USB hub plugin that into the passed through port?

You plug your Unifying receiver into a usb hub. This usb hub you plug into the passed through port on your proxmox host.

You plug your Unifying receiver into a usb hub. This usb hub you plug into the passed through port on your proxmox host.
Yes, it is plugged into a USB Hub. But if i remove the receiver i get these errors, and then when I plug it back, the mouse no longer works until I restart the VM.

You could try the same thing with a Linux VM and see if the same thing happens as with the Windows VM.

Hey, just wanted to thank you for your reply and the idea what to try. I have just taken some time to investigate this further, and yes a Linux guest machine works just fine. When I unplug and re-plug the Unifying Receiver, the mouse resumes working after a few seconds.

So it looks like a windows issue.
(Or possibly Windows in combination with Proxmox)

Just an FYI: I remember that in the past, there have been cases when after unplugging some device from a USB port, it no longer worked after re-plugging it back. However, it did start working after I plugged it into another USB connector.
I have just tried this same approach: I unplugged the Unifying Receiver, and plugged it back into a different port, but although windows played the "device connected sound", the mouse remained unmovable.

Last edited:
Reactions: shrdlicka

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!