Live KVM migration without share storage

Where can I find the patch review tool (like gerrit or similiar) ? I'm curious to see this patches.

thank you
Why not using github and gerrit? could improve development by thirth party

IMHO, not everybody might agree:
  • because it's easy and accessible (you need an editor and git to contribute, not even a mail client ;))
  • patches, feedback and general development discussion can happen in one place
  • github is not open source, gitlab is a monster to self-host (although there are copies of our code base on github, and if somebody would only send a patch as PR there it would probably still be merged if it met all other criteria)
  • gerrit is way too complex and slow to use

We use gitlab locally with more than 350 projects and 25 concurrent developers on a very old (6 years) server with sata disks and software raid

Is not a big monster....

I don't mean it's resource-hungry (although it is without doubt more resource hungry than gitweb), but that it's a very big application with an enormous amount of dependencies. the current workflow works very well for us and requires no setup/registration/.. for contributors besides an email account, an editor and git. The cost of setting up, maintaining and switching to a different infrastructure simply don't outweigh any potential benefits.

I respect your opinion but did you try gitlab ?
If you are using Debian, there is a package to be installed:
https://about.gitlab.com/2015/05/01/gitlab-on-debian-8/

There is also a free hosted version for public project like proxmox: https://about.gitlab.com/gitlab-com/ with that you don't have to install/manage anything. Just push your code.

With the current workflow is difficult to keep track for changes and review as you have to read the whole thread.

I respect your opinion but did you try gitlab ?
If you are using Debian, there is a package to be installed:
https://about.gitlab.com/2015/05/01/gitlab-on-debian-8/

There is also a free hosted version for public project like proxmox: https://about.gitlab.com/gitlab-com/ with that you don't have to install/manage anything. Just push your code.

With the current workflow is difficult to keep track for changes and review as you have to read the whole thread.

We use gitlab at work, works very good .

I think the most valuable part vs proxmox workflow by email, is for code review in merge request. You can comment code directly, resend the merge request fixed, and old comments are automaticly removed.

I think the most valuable part vs proxmox workflow by email, is for code review in merge request. You can comment code directly, resend the merge request fixed, and old comments are automaticly removed.

Exactly. And you still have full history of changes, pull-requests and so on

this is really turning off-topic, so this will probably be my last comment here. if you really want to continue this discussion, I suggest a new thread (either here or on pve-devel) - not sure whether there is much more to say besides re-iterating our different opinions ;)

@gitlab
  • running "curl something | sudo bash" is not an appropriate way to tell people to install anything, ever.
  • installing something like gitlab using an "omnibus package" is not the correct way to distribute software, ever
  • take a look at the immediate dependencies of the actual gitlab package in Debian unstable (https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/g/gitlab/control-8.13.3+dfsg1-1) and tell me this does not look bloated? (note that this does not include indirect dependencies that were only packaged in Debian for gitlab, of which there were quite a few. I followed the gitlab packaging effort in Debian pretty closely, and I have a lot of respect for the tenacity of the people involved - but I also know that I never ever want to be responsible for administrating a gitlab instance :p)
  • I get that having a shiny GUI with clickable buttons appeals to some people - but for developing software and managing patches it is unneeded overhead
  • (even more OT: yes, I have used all of gitlab, github and bitbucket - I still think plain git+mail is enough ;))

@spirit

compared to commenting inline when replying to an emailed patch, fixing the issues, and resending the patch (which also drops the old comments, since the patch is regenerated) I don't really see the difference - besides the medium over which the changes are transferred.

it's also not like we are using some arcane exotic workflow here - the same basic approach with slight variations is used by a lot of FOSS projects - the most prominent example being the Linux kernel ;) there is a reason why git has built-in support with commands like format-patch, send-email and am

Reactions: Petr
You don't have to install anything. You could use the free online version. Anyway, only the administrator has to install gitlab, users have to do absolutely nothing, thus, after a small time for installation (if you want to use the self-hosted version, it took less than 10 minutes to install from sources like I did) there is nothing else to do

this patch set is currently under review in its 7th incarnation, because larger changes like this often require some back and forth and detailed review.

Just wanted to revisit this, did anything happen to this planned feature in the last two months? Any idea when it might hit the test repository?
Or is it already out, and I missed it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!