List of suggestions/questions

sengo

Feb 19, 2009
Hi, after using pve in our test environment for 2 weeks I have a list of suggestions/feature request to do.

1) Vnc screen should be resizeable or scrollable: I know that the console is not the best method to administer a server but during the installation there is no option to connect remotely. For example both windows 2008 and Centos 6 use 1024x768 for the installation, my laptop has a 1366x768 resolution and with the browser bar and the os taskbar the console does not fit in the screen and there is no way to click buttons in the lower part of the screen.

2) I see snapshot are supported for qcow2 images but not for lvm images. Instead live backups are supported for lvm images and NOT for qcow2, If I try to backup a vm using qcow2 it gets suspended for the whole backup window.

3) In my opinion clustered vm should not be restarted by the cluster if they are shutdown from within the os. An easy way to do that is the recovery=disable option in cluster.conf. I can manually edit cluster.conf, but an option in the gui would be nice

Thanks for your time

Hi, after using pve in our test environment for 2 weeks I have a list of suggestions/feature request to do.

1) Vnc screen should be resizeable or scrollable: I know that the console is not the best method to administer a server but during the installation there is no option to connect remotely. For example both windows 2008 and Centos 6 use 1024x768 for the installation, my laptop has a 1366x768 resolution and with the browser bar and the os taskbar the console does not fit in the screen and there is no way to click buttons in the lower part of the screen.

change the resolution inside the guest, no problem. in future, we will use spice instead of VNC (that will solve the issue in total).

2) I see snapshot are supported for qcow2 images but not for lvm images. Instead live backups are supported for lvm images and NOT for qcow2, If I try to backup a vm using qcow2 it gets suspended for the whole backup window.

LVM snapshots works without problems for qcow2. if not, you have a wrong configuration.
KVM live snapshot work only for storage types with support for snapshots (qcow2, in future also for sheepdog, rbd, SAN like nexenta)

In my opinion clustered vm should not be restarted by the cluster if they are shutdown from within the os. An easy way to do that is the recovery=disable option in cluster.conf. I can manually edit cluster.conf, but an option in the gui would be nice

Thanks for your time

HA means always on. if you don´t want this, why do you configure it?
If you want to temporarily disable a VM/CT from HA, just click "STOP" on the GUI. This will trigger a clean acpi shutdown and will disable the CT/VM for HA. if you start again, it is enabled again.

change the resolution inside the guest, no problem. in future, we will use spice instead of VNC (that will solve the issue in total).

Spice will be nice but for now how do I change the guest resolution DURING the os installation? That's the problem! Rhel 6 has a 1024x768 resolution DURING installation and many buttons in the lower part of the screen are not even visible..

LVM snapshots works without problems for qcow2. if not, you have a wrong configuration.
KVM live snapshot work only for storage types with support for snapshots (qcow2, in future also for sheepdog, rbd, SAN like nexenta)

I have qcow2 disks on a NFS share. When I try to do a backup the console says:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 105 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage qnap_NFS01 --node kvm02
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 105 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: mode failure - unable to detect lvm volume group
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend

HA means always on. if you don´t want this, why do you configure it?
If you want to temporarily disable a VM/CT from HA, just click "STOP" on the GUI. This will trigger a clean acpi shutdown and will disable the CT/VM for HA. if you start again, it is enabled again.

That's fine, we are only used to vmware :)

I have qcow2 disks on a NFS share. When I try to do a backup the console says:
INFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 105 --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress lzo --storage qnap_NFS01 --node kvm02
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 105 (qemu)
INFO: status = running
INFO: mode failure - unable to detect lvm volume group
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
NFS doesn't support snapshot http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/2536-snapshot-mode?p=13868#post13868

Spice will be nice but for now how do I change the guest resolution DURING the os installation? That's the problem! Rhel 6 has a 1024x768 resolution DURING installation and many buttons in the lower part of the screen are not even visible..

use a bigger desktop or just run the rhel6 installation in text mode.

Hi Tom

First I want to say that PVE is a fantastic product, and want congratulate to PVE team for the excelent work do it and will do, is really admirably !!!

And let me to do a question, when do you believe that spice into PVE will be ready for use in production enviroment?
(I don't want to wait for have this feature into PVE)

Best regards
Cesar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!