Linux VMs struggle connecting to 2nd WAN (not a failover problem)

Kunou

Aug 8, 2022
Hi, new Proxmox user here.

I have two ISPs. vmbr0 connects to T-Mobile 5G (blue), and vmbr1 connects to AT&T DSL (red). I keep them sperate -- I am NOT talking about failover.pve network.jpg.

All VMs connect just fine to the main one (T-Mobile 5G), which is vmbr0, obviously. However, Linux VMs (Peppermint OS, or any other Debian-based OS I've tried) struggle to connect to vmbr1, which is for AT&T DSL. However, Windows 10 has zero problems. It connects immediately. Whereas for Linux VMs, it struggles on every server reboot.

The Linux VMs eventually establish a connection, after multiple retries. It takes from 5 to 20 minutes, I think.

If you must know, I have a pfSense rig that deals with my ISP connections (so I can do local networking between any device, no matter the ISP they are connected to). Any device connects perfectly fine to whichever ISP I want them connected to. It's only Linux VMs on Proxmox that have this weird problem. Not even VMWare Workdstation Player or Virtualbox have this problem.

I don't have IPv6 enabled on pfSense. I've disabled IPv6 through the Peppermint OS VM, but that doesn't help. I don't know what else to do!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!