Limiting the processes in the lxc container [fork bomb]

BelCloud

Renowned Member
Dec 15, 2015
www.belcloud.net
I'm periodically having issues with the lxc containers crashing the host node.

The errors on the node are the classic nmi_watchdog stuck and i believe so far i was treating the symptom instead of the cause.

Today, i had a very interesting "customer". His container was using 100% of his cpu (1 core), the node crashed.
I moved him to a fresh node (thinking the initial node was overloaded) and surprise, the new node crashed with the same error. I could see he was forking a lot of apache2 processes and i'm assuming that's what is causing the issues i'm continously having with lxc.

Can i prevent in any way the number of processes he can spwan? Or other ideas how to limit it?
All suggestions are welcome!

Thank you

There's also a pids cgroup around for a while now. You could try something like this in /etc/pve/lxc/$VMID.conf:
Code:
lxc.cgroup.pids.max: 5000
(Can be hot-applied on the CLI via `# lxc-cgroup -n $VMID pids.max 5000`)

Last edited:
All our containers include /usr/share/lxc/config/common.conf which in turn includes all .conf files in /usr/share/lxc/config/common.conf.d/ - You can add eg. a file 99-pid-limit.conf to that directory and add the above cgroup line to it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!