Limit IO for each VM? or max disk MB/s available for a VM?

jmjosebest

Renowned Member
Jan 16, 2009
Hi, it's possible add any limit in MB/s that a qemu is available to write into the storage?
Thanks!

not yet, but in KVM there is such a functionality so I assume sooner or later this will find its way into Proxmox VE.

maybe a stupid question, but is it possible to start a vm with lower/higher ionice priority?

thanks
u.

what if you start a kvm process with lower ionice priority?
won't that work this way?

hopefully someone with bigger skills than mine will test that, and i think it can be eysily implemented to pve, if it works

You do not need to start a process with ionice to use ionice.

Grab the pid of your kvm process and use ionice to adjust things.

Highest Priority:
Code:
 ionice -c 2 -n 0 -p pidhere

Lowest Priority:
Code:
 ionice -c 2 -n 7 -p pidhere

Doing that you could at least see if this works as expected or respond to a problem.

i just wanted to test large file copy on two windows vms, first WITHOUT setting any io priority and the result was surprising:

while copying the same file on both vm the second (w7) took almost all the io bandwidth from the first (xp)

root@genya:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/108.conf
acpi: 1
boot: dc
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 2
cpuunits: 1000
freeze: 0
ide2: none,media=cdrom
keyboard: hu
kvm: 1
memory: 3072
name: masodik
net0: virtio=62:88:9A:D1:37:2A,bridge=vmbr1
onboot: 1
ostype: wxp
sockets: 2
vga: std
virtio0: virt:108/vm-108-disk-2.raw
virtio1: virt:108/vm-108-disk-1.raw

root@genya:~# cat /etc/pve/qemu-server/109.conf
args: -bios /usr/share/kvm/bios.bin.asus
boot: dc
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 2
ide2: none,media=cdrom
keyboard: hu
memory: 3072
name: w7
net0: virtio=92:38:02:6E:DA:05,bridge=vmbr1
ostype: win7
sockets: 1
vga: std
virtio0: virt:109/vm-109-disk-1.raw
virtio1: virt:109/vm-109-disk-2.raw

I am currently testing with ionice ...
The best way to do it is to start the VM with ionice , something like : "ionice -c3 qm start <vmid>"

It has shown some promising results , and if combined with a nice it can do wonders for the cpu to . ( nice -n14 ionice -c2 -n7 qm start <vmid> )
It is a bit of a problem to auto start .. but a simple bash script in the init solves it .

You can change the scheduler in run time.

Here are a couple of links to help link 1 and link 2

I have a start up script on the testing machine that changes the scheduler then starts the VM`s

Hi everyone,

I know this exists for virtual machines now (including RW distinction, IOPS, and burst) but is there an upcoming solution for Linux Containers (LXC / pct) or a solution available in the command line? Yes, I know the fact that it's a mount point on the FS makes it really challenging....

Thanks!

Tmanok

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!